Chapter 27 - Interrupting Secrets With Great News

"I will leave you two alone to talk." My mum said, standing up and walked away. I gaped at her. She was leaving me alone with a boy?

What was happening?

When she was about to step outside she winked at me. I nearly fell off my bed right there and then. Nathan gave me a worried look, as if asking why I looked so shocked, but I just shook my head.

"So, what did you do when you left?" I asked him. He shrugged.

"Just a little research." He said casually and I narrowed my eyes.

"Explain further." I commanded, crossing my arms. He smiled.

"It's nothing." He replied, refusing to tell me anything.

"Nathan."

"Unique."

"Nathan."

"Unique." He mimicked, finding the whole thing amusing. I rolled my eyes.

"Whatever. Anyway, what's going on at school? Does anyone know what happened?" I asked him, changing the subject even though I'd come back to it later.

"Yup. There are loads of rumours. Apparently you went sky-diving and somehow injured your arm when you landed. Or you decided to start street-fighting and you were beat up pretty bad." He told me. I chuckled.

"You should see the other guy." I joked and he laughed.

"But everyone believes that it has to do with Jessica. She's not in either, so apparently something happened with both of you." He said and I rolled my eyes.

"People these days. Ugh. Who started that one?" I asked.

"Ava."

"Of course." I said, smiling a bit. Then I realised it would be best to call my friends and tell them what happened. Leaving out the parts of how my dad had a betting obsession and decided it would be fun to kidnap me and my sister.

It had only been a few hours since I had been found, so there wasn't really any rush. If Nathan didn't tell anyone, no-one else needed to know.

But how did Nathan find out in the first place?

"Nathan, how did you find out about me being in the hospital?" I asked him. He smiled sheepishly.

"Well, it took a bit of digging but I-"

"We're here to see Unique Williams." I heard a voice say. A familiar voice.

Daniel?

"Okay, follow me. But only two of you can come." I heard a nurse reply. Nathan and I exchanged looks.

If only two of them could come, how many were there?

"Okay, we will go and you can stay here." I heard another voice say.

"No wait-"

"Honey, we've known her longer, and she'll probably want to see us sooner. Stay here."

"Um, okay."

I shook my head. It was obviously Ava and Missy.

I heard some footsteps. I looked up to see Ava and Daniel. I grinned at them as they came to hug me, being careful to not touch my IV.

"How are you doing?" Daniel asked. Nathan scoffed.

"She's in the hospital with a needle stuck in her arm. How do you think she's doing?"