Chapter 8 - My Fractured Ankle And Crying Mum

"Unique, I'm bored! Can we watch some TV?" Cece whined. I glared at her, and she stopped talking, but I gave her my phone and she started playing games on it. After a while she stopped playing.

Cece held my hand and looked at me with those big brown eyes. "Unique, when are we going home?" She asked.

I bit my lip, trying hard not to cry. "When mum will come here to pick us up," I explained to her. She nodded and kept her head on my lap. Soon, she was asleep.

I stayed awake and watched videos on my phone. Then suddenly my ring tone started playing.

'Everything is awesome,

Everything is cool when you're part of a team

Everything is awesome,

When we're living our dre-"

I quickly answered, seeing it was my mum calling. "Unique! Unique, is that you? Oh please tell me it's you!" She exclaimed. Her voice was croaky, and she kept on sniffing.

Was my mum actually crying?

"Wow mum, even you can get emotional," I joked. I could imagine my mum scowling.

"Oh thank goodness you're okay! Is Cece with you? Is she okay?" She quickly asked.

"She's fine, just sleeping." I replied.

"Unique, don't ever do that to me again! I thought you'd got kidnapped, or hurt, or was in some kind of accident-" She started but then started sobbing.

I nearly dropped the phone.

I hadn't seen or heard my mum cry since my dad left. And that was nearly 6 years ago. I thought she didn't know how to anymore. Obviously, she would've done it in private or without me there, but hearing her crying her eyes out because of me was shocking.

"That's funny, I thought the same thing when Cece ran away . . ." I said, then realized what I said and stopped talking.

"WHAT?!" She shrieked. I winced and kept the phone further away from my ear.

"Okay, where are you?" She asked. I bit my lip. Where were we? I didn't know what the hospital was called yet, and no-one called my mum.

I shouldn't have listened to Cece.

(A few hours ago)

I was on my bed, taking a nap when Cece walked into the room. She started shaking me, and when I finally opened my eyes I glared at her.

"Unique, I'm bored!" She complained. I rolled my eyes.

"That's not my problem, is it?" I said. She pouted.

"Can we go out? Please! Pretty please with a cherry on top!" She pleaded. I sighed.

"Fine, but promise you won't disturb me tomorrow." I warned. She nodded.

Tomorrow was Sunday, and on Monday I'd have to start Star Academy, unfortunately.

I got out of bed, brushed my teeth, (after taking a nap I always brushed my teeth) then dressed up in a tank top, a jumper, some jeans and trainers.

I brushed my hair then braided it, kept my phone and some money in my pockets, then went into the other room where Cece was.

"Are you ready to go now?" I asked. She glanced at me. "Just a minute ..." She said, trying and failing to tie a ribbon in her hair. I chuckled.

"Come here!" I said, and tied the ribbon in her hair. She beamed and spun around. Then the ribbon fell off and she pouted. I sighed.

"Forget the ribbon, let's just go!" I said, grabbed her hand and we walked out of the room, down the hotel corridor out of the entrance and into the streets of California.