Chapter 1 - My Mum, The Control Freak

"Mum, I'm home!" I called out into the silent house, shutting the door behind me. No reply. I sighed and kept my stuff in the living room.

I didn't expect my mum to reply. We weren't really on good terms for the past six years or so.

Anyway, I walked upstairs and into my room to find my mum... Keeping my things in a suitcase? I walked over to her and tapped her shoulder gently.

"Hey. What are you doing?" I asked her. Without looking at me, she replied.

"Packing your belongings in a suitcase; you don't want to go to California, Los Angeles without anything, do you?" She replied and I stared at her in confusion. Then it hit me.

Once again, my mum was doing something without telling anybody about it.

"So, we're moving to California." I said slowly, mostly to myself. Finally, she looked at me.

"Yes Unique." She replied, wincing when she said my name. I rolled my eyes.

My mum hated the name my dad had picked for me. She wanted to call me Katrina or something, but thankfully my dad insisted I should be called a different name, something uncommon.

So he called me Unique.

I was teased about it, I mean, what kind of parents would name their child Unique? But I didn't let anyone's words get to me. I loved my name and whatever they said didn't matter.

My mum still refused to call me Unique most of the time, calling me by my middle name, Grace. You see, she was really posh. She liked everything to be organized and hated when things went wrong or didn't go her way. My mum hated fast food restaurants and preferred to have a home-cooked meal instead. She always used formal language, and was totally against swearing. No bad words were said near her or to her.

Appearance wise, I was totally the opposite. Instead of having straight blonde hair and blue eyes like she did, I had naturally wavy dark hair and brown eyes. Cece, my six year old sister, had crazy red hair and adorable brown eyes too. I thought I'd taken after my dad, but no-one knew where Cece got her red hair from. I thought it could've been my grandma, she had dark red hair.

Cece was very energetic and bubbly, she loved to talk. My mum wanted Cece and me to be like her, for some odd reason.

"Grace, are you listening to me?" My mum asked. This time I winced.

"Could you please stop calling me by my middle name?" I exclaimed.

"Why are we going to Los Angeles anyway? It's perfectly fine in New York!" I said. But as usual, she just ignored me.

"Someone got off the wrong side of bed today." I muttered, loud enough so she would hear me. She glared at me.

"Why am I still here packing your things for you? You have your own hands; do it yourself!" She exclaimed and walked out of the room, her perfect ponytail swinging behind her.

I looked at what my mum had already packed. All my clothes were neatly folded and kept in a specific place: T-shirts were here, jeans were here, dresses and skirts were here and so on.

My shoes were in another suitcase, and so were my other beauty products and electronics. I sighed, packing up the rest of my stuff, zipping my suitcases and dragged them downstairs into the massive hallway.

I found Cece sitting on the sofa, playing with her dolls. She looked really cute in a yellow sundress and white ballet flats. Her waist length red hair was tightly braided and it had a yellow bow at the end. But I knew she was uncomfortable.

"Unique! Please get me out of these clothes and undo my hair! Mum said I should wear this pretty dress but it's so itchy and tight! Oh, and my hair is so sore!" She complained. I chuckled.

"Don't worry, I'll find some comfortable clothes for you." I said. "But let's do something about your hair."

I walked towards her. I gently took off the bow and undid the braid, then ran my fingers through her hair until it was free and flowing again.

When I was finished she squealed and hugged me, then ran out of the room with her doll. After a minute or so, my mum came storming inside, dragging a struggling Cece with her.

"What did you to her hair?" My mum demanded. An innocent expression masked my face.

"She told me she was uncomfortable, so I took the braid out!" I replied.

"Do you know how long it took me to make her look this perfect?" She shouted.

"Do you know how much I don't care?" I shouted back. My mum glared at me.

"That's it, go to your room!" She commanded, pointing upstairs. I just sat there, glaring at her.

"Go to your room now!" My mum screamed, finally losing her temper. Before I left, I gave a little salute.

"Because that's such a massive punishment." I muttered, leaving.

*****

HI THERE!!

Thanks for reading my story!! :D

SO... Here's the first chapter!! I hope you enjoyed it.

Do you like the new and improved Totally Unique? (It's what this book used to be called but I changed the title and now I'm re-writing it).

Anyway, please vote and comment to show how much you love this story. Or just vote and comment because you're nice, right?

Stay happy!