Chapter 31 - Chest Of Memories

Chapter 31 – Chest Of Memories

(NATHAN'S POV)

I ignored the sweat running down my back as I repeatedly pounded the punching bag, putting all my strength into it. My muscles were aching and I was exhausted but I didn't stop, knowing that if I didn't release all that pent up anger I would take it out on someone.

Punch, punch, punch.

An excited twelve-year old me walked into the assembly hall.

"Miss, do you know where my father is?"

"Oh honey, he told me to tell you that he'll be on a business trip for the next three months. You will stay with your step mum and step sister."

My blood ran cold. "Step-mum and step-sister?"

"Nathan."

Punch, punch, punch.

My teacher looked at me with mixture of shock and sympathy. "Okay, not exactly step-mum and step-sister. He's engaged to Cindy."

"Cindy?"

"Oh, did he not tell you? While you were here at boarding school last semester they got engaged."

"What? How did I not know during the break...?" I asked mostly myself, and then it dawned on me. I'd stayed with my aunty for the semester break.

But my own father didn't tell me?

"Nathan?"

Punch, punch, punch.

"Nathan! Your dad is on the phone for you!" His aunty called. My fourteen year old self ran downstairs.

I tried to contain my excitement as I took the phone. "Father?"

"Pack your bags, Nathaniel. You are moving back into my house and attending the school closer there."

"Wh-"

"Quick! I don't have time, boy, I'll be leaving soon. Cindy and your sister will pick you up."

"B-but I-"

"GO!" And the line went dead.

"Nathan!"

Punch, punch, punch.

"Hello again Nathan!" Cindy cried sweetly when my gloomy thirteen year old self stepped out of my aunt's car. After waving a final goodbye to the only parental figure I'd really had for the past five years, I walked towards a waiting Cindy.

"Drop the act, my dad isn't here." I snapped, brushing past her and her daughter.

She rolled her eyes as she followed me, a sneer appearing on her face. "Damn right he isn't. He's out there working to get the money I need for my new shoes."

My back tensed but I didn't look behind me as I carried on rolling my suitcases.

"Lazy cow. After two days off he finally goes back. I had to cook, for gosh sake! I can already see that pot belly forming." She said crudely.

I heard a slight gasp from my step-sister but didn't stop walking; knowing if I did there would be trouble.

"It's a good thing he's ri-"

"Shut the hell up, you basic, slutty, gold-digger! Why don't you try working instead of sitting on your as-"

SLAP.