Chapter 2 ~ Living as a 'human'

"No, no, no! Not like that!" That was Paul, one of the human 'help'. Poor thing, he's such a nice guy as well, I overheard some guards saying that his time was almost up. They only keep them here for a month, or until they slip up or step out of line, pity that when my month is up they won't be able to taste me. Anyway I was learning to cook, or rather Paul was teaching me to cook and I was failing miserably.

"Can't I just watch?" I asked him hopefully.

"If you just sit there they'll fire you within a day!" he replied, I could see he was scared for my fate.

"Pfff like I care!" I said defiantly.

"And because they have security cameras throughout the castle and they just watched you say that, now you're for it!" he said worriedly.

"What could they do to me?" I asked, laughing a little.

"Tut, tut, tut Penelope didn't last even a day!" Caius said with a smirk. He had 'crept up on us' but of course I knew he was there. "Aro will be most displeased when he finds out that our latest helper didn't last long, you'd better come with me to the throne room, Aro has just got back and I'm sure he'd loved to assess the situation and see if we should fire you" he started licking his lips but stopped when he realised I was watching him.

Caius frog-marched me down the corridors until we reached the marble doors, he waited for the guards to open them for him and we stepped inside.

"Ah brother, you've brought us a meal" he looked over at me his eyes glinting red. Our eyes met and my breathe caught in my throat. No it can't be! Aro can't be my mate! Obviously he wouldn't know it because of my glamours but I felt it. It was like gravity was pulling me towards him.

"This is the misbehaving girl!" Caius said

"Oh please" I said with a scowl "you make me sound like a pre-schooler!"

"Don't talk out of line!" Aro said with a snap

"Bite me" I said with a smirk

"Gladly" he said and rushed over to me, but I was too quick. I jumped up into the beams of the roof, getting rid of my glamours in the process.

"I was joking you know! Honestly don't take things too literally!" I said from the rafters. Now in my normal form the pull was even stronger. Aro must of felt it too because he spoke in a much softer tone.

"Remarkable!" Aro said clapping his hands in glee "it seems we have a very talented Vampire in our midst!"

"Only because I'm here" a short blonde girl walked in with a smile.

"He wasn't talking about you Jane" a second vampire walked in behind her.

Bam, I had two new powers, that makes four from the members of the Volturi I had met so far! Firstly Marcus's ability to sense the strength in a relationship, then Aro's mind reading skill and now Jane's ability to create pain and the other vampires ability to block senses. I'm going to have fun with this. I jumped down from my perch on the rafters and said "You come near me and you die" I noticed Jane staring at me intently and registered a dull pain but it was nothing.

"You know Jane, that doesn't really hurt that much, don't bother" she carried on for a while so I turned to face her and shouted "I said don't bother!" and hit her with her own power. At once she was screaming with agony on the floor and nearly all the vampires room were upon me, exept for Aro. I quickly erased all of my thoughts and ran over to him, touching lightly, but enough to send sparks up my finger, but also enought to steal the power of every vampire he had ever come into contact with, including the whole of the Volturi, and also everyone he'd read the minds of had came into contact with. He must of noticed the sparks because he turned to look at me but I avoided eye contact so he wouldn't find out who I was to him.

"Seize her!" he shouted. I didn't really care, I was too busy trying out my new found powers. How cool! I could fly! I jumped into the air and flew about abit, but I got bored easily and dropped to the floor waiting for them to come running for me. The vampire who I had found out his name was Alec through Aro's thoughts stood trying to use his power against me but I had stolen a sheild from someone named Bella so his power was useless. I watched them running towards me and one by one I hit them with Jane's power. I got a bit carried away and I didn't notice Aro running towards me. I hit him with Jane's power and as he hit the floor, I felt the pain he was feeling and stopped straight away. I ran over to him shouting.

"Oh my gosh Aro I'm so sory!" he looked up at me with hatred in his eyes but then his eyes found mine and he just stopped. We were just sitting there staring into eachothers eyes when I felt arms around my waist, restraining my and another pair of arms ready to rip my head off. I could of easily beat them off but I was still staring into Aro's eyes. Aro realised what they were about to do and stood up.

"STOP!" he ordered, the arms around me loosened but didn't let go, "Let her go"

"But Aro!" the vampire that had my neck, Demetri I learnt from his thoughts, "She almost killed you Aro!"

"I said let her go!" he said with more force, the two vampires holding me let me go without warning and I dropped to the floor, holding my neck. I suppose it was my own fault that I almost got killed, I shouldn't of got lost in Aro's eyes. He rushed over to me.

"Are you okay?" he asked me tenderly kneeling down beside me

"I'm fine, just... shocked"

"Me too, I think more so than you" I nodded in agreement.

"Would someone please explain to me what is going on?" Caius asked.

We got up and Aro took my hand, shivers went up my spine "Brothers and sisters, finally after three thousand years I have found what I was looking for"

"Your mate!" Jane said with a gasp.

"Yes, finally I have found her and I wasn't about to let her go" he said with a glare in the direction of Demetri and the other vampire that had been restraining me, Felix. "Come Penelope, take a walk with me"

"Actually it's Laura, Penelope was just my cover name"

"Very clever, you don't seem like a Penelope anyway!" We started running away from the others until we ended up in the gardens.

"I could of easily got out of their grasp you know"

"Yeah thats why you almost had your head ripped off" he said sarcastically

"Well it wasn't exactly my fault that I got mesmerized by your eyes!" Aro looked at me, all sarcasm gone, and smiled making my tummy do bellyflops.

"You know, I can't read you thoughts" he said, it was then that I realised that I was still holding his hand.

"That's because I blocked them from you" I thought 'Hello Aro' and unblocked that thought from him. He gasped in surprise and spun me round to face him.

"How did you do that?" I smiled slightly and said

"I'm a stealer"

A/N

Hello again:) I decided to update again because I am really enjoying writing this! More of Jane coming up in the next chapter (I've always liked her, especially as she is played by Dakota Fanning one of my favourite actresses!) so I hope you enjoy the story so far! xxx