Chapter 1: The Loner

The Loner

Tomari

I awoke with intense wanting and the need for my dark desires to be satisfied. Biting my lip and clenching my thighs together I forced my head into the fluffy pillow below me before letting a groan escape my lips. I hated this part of my day. Every night I seemed to have a dream about Devlyn and I hated the after effects.

I touched my finger to my lips. I could still feel his own on mine as if it was reality. My body burned everywhere the man touched me despite it being just a dream. And each one grew more intense. 'Mate' was what he'd called me. I shook my head, deciding now was the perfect time to get out of bed. I rolled out and ended up on the carpet. "Damn it," I cursed as I reluctantly pushed myself off the floor to get ready for school.

My name is Tomari Johnston. I am 17 years old and am attending Blue Luna High as a senior. I have dark flaming red hair, almond colored eyes, bronzed skin, and an athletic build. Despite the last part, I am only five foot three.

I am a Lycan or a royal werewolf in human terms. I can change anytime I want despite the moon phase, and was gifted with a few supernatural abilities, but they are only used when I really need them. In addition to all of this I am a loner. Although my parents were Alpha of my pack, they were killed by rogues back in New Orleans when I was eleven.

I've never told anyone I was a loner in Black Luna Valley. You're supposed to at least meet with the Alpha of any territory you trespass if you want to live there. I've never been a fan of following rules. Even if the Blue Luna Pack is one of the strongest packs in the world I wasn't afraid. My pack was pretty high up in the ranks too.

All dressed for school I grabbed my keys and books before heading out. My house was actually two stories and made up of wood. I picked it because it was isolated and surrounded by trees. It was just the way I liked to live. I never cared for pack life even with my parents alive. I guess you can say I've always had loner blood running through my veins along with the Alpha.

When I arrived at Blue Luna High the first bell had just rang. I had about fifteen more minutes before class would begin. Opening my locker I stuffed two of my books inside and then grabbed my orchestra binder.

"Hey, Tomari."

I closed my locker and light brown eyes met my own. "Alan." Alan Smith was one of my best friends since I arrived in Blue Luna Valley, and have been since I became a teenager. He was not much taller than I- about five foot five- and his hair that was naturally curly was combed back in waves. He was buff, but not too buff; he was also a football player and could actually pass for a wolf except his scent was human.

"Why are you late?"

"I'm not," I said, now walking down the hallway beside him. "The third bell hasn't rang yet."

His eyes narrowed in that simple way that said I was such a smartass. "I mean you came to school later than usual."

"Thanks for noticing," I said, shrugging. "Where's Xavier?"

Now it was his turn to shrug. "Haven't seen him. I don't think he's here yet."

"Speaking of that, why are you even here? You have football in the morning." I eyed him suspiciously. "Schedule change?" He nodded. "You made varsity?" My tone of voice suggested I was more surprised than I really was. "Congratulations, Alan!" I cheered, slapping him on the back.

I thought it was weird at first. Blue Luna High allowed humans and wolves to play on the same team. JV were humans, but Varsity was a mixture of the two species. Because of this, you had to be really good and practically perfect when playing Varsity as a human.

The thing about my school was that humans who attended Blue Luna didn't know or weren't supposed to know Weres even existed. So the humans on the football team- or any team for that matter- just assumed they were the same kind. Alan didn't know what I was and it was probably a good thing. It was selfish but I didn't want to lose him as a friend. Humans tended to overreact when they found out about us.

"Thanks." He said, his lips turning up into a smile that made his eyes twinkle.

We walked the hall for a couple of more minutes before he told me he'd see me later and then disappeared. I was almost to class when that familiar sensation caused me to stop in the middle of the hallway, and I couldn't help the groan that escaped my lips. I reached out and touched what felt like a locker door to keep myself from falling.

It was always like this when I felt him coming. His spiritual pressure that always caused my breath to come out in pants. I hated it but I loved it all the same. Of course, I'd never tell him that out loud. I wasn't sure if other people got this way whenever their mates came around. My parents always described it as a scent that makes your head turn, but it wasn't like that for me.

"Tomari. Are you okay?"

"What does it matter?" I snapped through clenched teeth. I did an about face and met chocolate gems. This was Devlyn James, the soon to be Alpha of the Blue Luna Pack. Dark brown hair that could pass for black, golden skin, and dreamy brown eyes that seemed to hide something dark and unforgiving.

"I'm just asking," he replied in that not too rough and not too smooth voice of his. I suddenly felt bad for the way I snapped on him.

"What do you want?" Whenever Devlyn came around it was usually because he wanted something.

"Nothing." I eyed him suspiciously. That was bullshit. I could see it in his eyes. He wanted something from me, he just wasn't going to tell me. "But my father wants to see you."

"What?" Something in me began to shake at his words. Alpha James wanted to see me? Did he finally figure out that I was living in his territory without his permission? "Why?" I was glad my voice came out steadier than I felt.

Devlyn shrugged. "He didn't tell me why."

I met his eyes for about ten seconds before dropping mine. I had a bad feeling about this. "When?"

"After school." I silently groaned as the bad feeling grew stronger. I was in so much trouble. "Don't worry my lovely flower," He told me as if sensing my unease. "I'll protect you."

Those words continued to ring in my head long after we parted ways. 'Don't worry my lovely flower, I'll protect you.' They shouldn't have done anything. They were just words after all. Yet, when he told me not to worry I couldn't help but feel a lot better. Later on, I would be pissed about not coming up with sarcastic retort. Now, I will enjoy the sense of calmness his words gave me because I was afraid that Alpha James would have me killed.