Chapter 27: Truth

Truth

I was sitting in bed, reading one of Z's old profiles when a knock at the door caused me to jump. "You know, you don't have to knock anymore Tori," I muttered, trying to calm my fast beating heart. I didn't spare him a glance as I heard the door shut."You can just come in."

"What are you doing?" He asked, his footsteps growing closer. A few moments later, the bed dipped beside me. "Tomari?"

I didn't answer. Instead, I continued on reading: Carlyle Kent. Romanian. Born in Brasov, Romania, 1660. Married to Luisa Kent. No known children. Died in the famous Black Church Fire in 1689. Age twenty-nine years old. Below this was a painting of a young Carlyle with wavy shoulder-length blond hair, deep coffee brown eyes, bright red lips, and fish belly pale skin. A black hat on his head, Xavier wore a white shirt with silk embroidery, black trousers, and plain black shoes. On his wrist was a golden bracelet, telling me that during this time Z was really well off. His hands were cupped in front of him, his feet spread apart, his eyes practically twinkling in the dim candle light, a charming smile on his face. It could be assumed that-

"Hey!" I exclaimed when the paper had been suddenly yanked from my hands.

Tori's narrowed eyes never left mine as he sat the now gathered papers on the nearest night stand. "Finally. Some attention."

Now it was my turn to narrow my eyes. I crossed my arms over my chest, fuming. "Seriously?"

"Yes."

We stayed like that for a while, silently speaking. No words were exchanged, and neither one of us moved, nor did we tap into our mind link, but somehow, just from looking into each other's eyes, we understood exactly what the other was thinking.

For example, Tori hated that I was beating myself up over Z. And it was true. I was. Maybe if I knew what Z was, I could have prevented his being taken. I don't know how, but I'm sure I would have found a way...

"Tomari," Tori said, finally breaking the silence. His hand slowly made its way to my cheek, his thumb gliding along my bottom lip. A shiver went down my spine.

"Hm?"

"We're going to rescue him," he replied lowly. Have I told you how much I love Tori's voice? It was like music to my ears. Every time I heard it I practically found myself humming. "Try not to worry so much. Now that we know where he is, we'll definitely rescue him."

When Derek came over, he finally relayed onto us some groundbreaking news. He knew where Xavier was. In a prisoner cell within a palace, but not just any palace. The Elders' palace. Apparently, the Elders had finally manage to gather enough dirt on Z, and so took them into their "custody". 

How did Derek know this? He told us that he had a hunch, and asked around. I knew the moment I saw him shrug that there was more to it than that, but I left it alone. I really didn't want to know what Derek did in order to get his hands on that information.

"But the Elders... How are we supposed to..." I paused to take a deep breath. I needed to stop rambling and speak clearly. "We don't even know where the palace is located."

"Derek does." He countered.

"No," I replied with a shake of my head. "That's not what I meant to say."

"Then what is it?" He asked, his eyes watching me intently. With him looking at me this way, I felt trapped.

"Princess?"