Chapter 20.5: Prom

Prom

Everything was going great. People were dancing, smiling, laughing, and talking. No fights had broken out yet, and no one seemed upset about anything. Everyone was having a good time. Even me. It was hard not to.

Derek seemed to make himself at home among my friends, and seemed to enjoy the sight of a drunken Elise on the dance floor. He spun around in a circle and began two stepping. Then he took his "partner" by the hand and spun her as well. Poor guy. He didn't seem to realize he was dancing alone.

Alan and Cory each pulled out their phones and snickered as they recorded. I would be lying if I said I didn't follow in their footsteps.

"He is going to have such a hangover when this is over," I mumbled after we'd finished filming. The other agreed wholeheartedly. "Someone should keep an eye on him though. There's no telling what he'll do next." As if on cue we looked to Zeke.

"Oh hell no. I got a date to take care of." He protested.

"Then it's settled," Alan replied. "Whoever doesn't have a date watches Elise."

Zeke hooked his arm around Berry's neck and smacked him on the chest. "Looks like that would be you."

Berry groaned. "Why do I-"

"Um guys," Derek cut in. "Elise's leaving the gym."

"Well, you heard him." Zeke.

"Go find your man," I said with a grin. The others chucked. Berry glared, but left anyway.

"I hate you guys." I heard him mutter under his breath, forcing Derek and I to shake our heads. Everyone at the table watched him disappear behind the double doors before turning our attention to each other.

"So what now?" Cory asked.

"Do you want to dance?" His date, Jennifer I think, asked. At that moment a slow song came on. All of Me by John Legend.

"Sure."

He took her hand and led her onto the dance floor. The other girls looked at their dates expectantly. Seeing their looks Alan and Zeke each stood and lead their girls onto the floor as well. That would be the last time I see them that night.

"Do you want to dance as well Ari?"

"Me? Dance?" I cracked open the water and sipped. "I can't dance. I've told you this before."

"What's this? Princess Walker doesn't know how to ballroom dance? Isn't that some kind of requirement?"

I rolled my eyes in response.

"Allow me to teach you." To show me how serious he was he stood up and carefully took my hand into his gently soft one.

"Derek," I warned although I found myself standing anyway. I don't know why but I felt guilty about dancing with Derek. should be dancing with Tori, I thought. I should be learning to dance with Tori He should be teaching me this.

"It's really simple, Ari." He placed his hand at the small of my back. His other grasped mine, but not before placing my other hand onto his shoulder. "Don't worry. I'll lead you. We're just going to move in a circle."

I took a deep breath before signaling him to begin. His right foot stepped forward automatically forcing me back. Every time we moved he would patiently tell me with his body what to do. He didn't seem to mind that I stepped on him a couple of times.