Chapter 20: The Wish

The Wish

"You're not wearing that one either."

"That's what you said for the last seven dresses we bought, Tori."

"Clearly it's because I don't want you to wear any of them," He replied easily as if it was something I should have obviously known. I sighed. We were in the suite area of my room. My mate watched me with darkened eyes as I sauntered around in a smooth black strapless dress. It stopped just short of my knees; the kind of dress that wasn't too long that I looked like a granny nor too short to make me look slutty. Then again, I could wear anything and not look slutty or old... You get my point.

After checking myself out in the mirror I spun on my heels to face my critic, who laid back on my bed with his elbows propping him up. I held back a smile when I spoke again, but I was sure he could see amusement through my twinkling eyes.

"Maybe I should just go naked." His eyes narrowed at that. I shrugged as if it wasn't a big deal. "Mostly everyone there will be a werewolf. I don't think it will matter if I wear nothing. They probably wouldn't notice."

"Seriously, Tomari?" Every word of his reply was short. "I know for a fact that not all of the Seniors are shifters of some kind. Didn't you tell me that there are humans that attend as well? Either way mutts or no mutts I still wouldn't allow you to go naked. Especially if its that human."

"But you wouldn't want me to wear this with Derek either. Or those." I gestured to my closet.

"I rather you wear those then to go nude."

I crossed my arms as if to think about his words. "Is that so?"

"Yes."

"Then maybe I should wear the electric blue instead." I muttered. As much as I liked the one I was wearing currently, the electric blue was better.

It was so long that it reached by ankles. It was also sleeveless, and the only think that would keep it up was the two ribbons I had to tie around my neck. If I wore it with a small scarf and my black velvet jacket I would be perfectly fine to go out.

I heard him mutter as a knock sounded at the door.

"Hold on!" I found myself yelling even though I knew he could hear me perfect fine even if I whispered. "Alright. Come in," I told him after I'd changed back into my original clothing.

He slid in before closing it behind him. And then he leaned. "You're still going?"

"Of course I am."

"And you allowed this?" He asked in disbelief to Tori.

"The princess made a promise, and I am not within my rights to tell her what to do." He replied. I snorted. That was bullshit. Wasn't he just telling me what dresses I couldn't wear earlier?

"If she was mine I would never let her go with another man."

It felt like Devlyn was trying to start a fight again. I was sure Tori felt it too. He just didn't seem in a fighting mood today. He only said, "I am not that insecure. I trust her and I am confident in her."

That's when it dawned on me. Devlyn and Tori weren't fighting each other anymore. I knew this because this was usually the moment when Devlyn would fly into one of his rages at being called insecure. But this time he didn't. He just continued on as if Tori hadn't said anything. In fact, he was talking as if he and Tori had been friends for a long while.

Weird.

If I didn't know any better I'd say they actually were friends- well, with the exception of Tori's use of formality. Did Devlyn finally give up on me and raise the white flag? Or did Tori finally find it pointless to keep fighting him?