Chapter 23: Illusion

Illusion

I had to be hallucinating. I shut my eyes and counted to ten, but when I opened them the person standing before me hadn't disappeared. So I decided to try another method. I opened the door and walked out of the classroom. After circling around the lockers several times I returned, slowly opening the door to peek. He was still there.

"Ms. Johnston," It wasn't an illusion. That's when it dawned on me this really was real, and that I was standing in the middle of the classroom looking like an idiot. "Are you alright?"

"Yes, I'm fine. I'll just head to my seat now." We'll talk about this when class ends, I linked.

"Yes, of course."

I ended up finding an open seat in the back located next to a window. It was just the place I liked to sit. So I took it. And then stared intently at "Mr. Warren" as I tried to figure out what the hell was going on.

Was this what Tori had in mind when he said he had an idea? If so, I didn't think this was one of his brightest. Surely he would attract unwanted attention. Unwanted attention meaning female attention. And female attention meaning...

I needed to stop thinking. Stop thinking. Just stop- but I couldn't. Already the girls were eyeing him. If any one of those wolves or humans touched my mate... I felt a growl vibrate from deep within me.

"Ms. Johnston?" His sweet melodic voice called, rescuing me from my thoughts. I looked up from the paper lying in front of me and towards Tori, who stood in front of me in his grey Polo Ralph Lauren suit, looking cool with a hand in his pocket; the other hung down at his side. I slowly set my pencil down on my desk. "Is everything alright?"

"Sure. Why do you ask?"

"Because something seems wrong."

I could feel the other females eyeing daggers at me. I exhaled, grinding my teeth together. You're giving me too much attention you idiot! "I'm fine." I finally managed. "Don't worry."

There was a pause as we stared into each other's eyes. It was as though we were having a silent battle. A small smile tugged at the corner of his lips. When I saw this a thought crossed my mind: When was the last time saw Tori really smile?

"Is the work too hard?" He asked gently.

"No. I'm just about finished actually. What are you-" He gracefully moved behind me to slightly bend over my shoulder. As he checked my answers I couldn't help but close my eyes and breathe in his masculine scent. Oh how I loved this man.

"Mistress," he whispered lowly. My eyes fluttered open in pleasure at hearing his name for me. And then came the fear. Sure he had said the word low enough for only I to hear, but this wasa class full of wolves as well as humans. What if someone heard him? He shook his head as if to tell me I was thinking too much again. Then pointed to problem number fifteen with the hand free from his pocket. "You used the wrong formula. It's sine not cos."

I snatched up my pencil, marking out my previous answer in order to write in a new one. It took me about two minutes to scribble it; mainly because he hadn't moved from his position. Have you ever tried to concentrate with someone you were seriously attracted to breathing down your neck? After erasing, and erasing, and erasing I finally got down the correct answer, but this was after he moved away from me.

"Are you alright?"

"Yes. Why the hell does everyone keep- Oh, hey Mario," I said, my tone changing completely from annoyed to cheerful.