Chapter 16: The Jealous

The Jealous

Tomari

"Allow me to explain," I began, pulling away. With Tori's hot gaze it was hard to speak and I knew I would have to speak fast though I knew my time had run out when Devlyn found us. He watched me through narrowed eyes and I wondered what he was so angry about. Did he forget he wasn't in love with me?

"Then explain." Devlyn growled.

"What?" I growled back. "Why the hell are you so angry? This has nothing to do with you."

"You're going to prom with a human." He bit back. "Of course it has something to do with me. What if he finds out about us?"

"Oh?" I snarled. "Did you think the same thing when you were sleeping around with those human girls?" He didn't know that I knew. Boys brag about those kinds of things but slutty girls boasted more.

He opened his mouth to say something more but Tori's calm voice interrupted. "Enough." He turned to me and I sighed at the unreadable look in his eyes. "What did Devlyn mean about Prom?"

"Oh. That." I said unenthusiastically with a shrug. Devlyn crossed his arms, waiting for my explanation. "You see Derek was being all bitchy because he didn't have a date for prom."

"So you offered?" Devlyn asked.

"No." I replied bitterly. "He asked me. I didn't offer."

"And you said yes?"

"Yeah. It's not a valid excuse but I didn't want him to be all pissed at me for rejecting him." I shrugged again. I met Tori's gaze. "It's not like we're going as a couple. Just friends. It's nothing more than that."

"Everyone knows that going to Prom together means you are a couple."

"Would you shut up?" I said with annoyance, glaring at the wolf. "We are nothing more than friends. I'm just helping him out. That's all." I crossed my arms. "How did you find out so quickly anyway?"

"Some girls over heard." I thought back to when Derek asked me to be his date. There was no one else in the parking lot. No one I could remember, and I had pretty good memory. "I mean Derek must have told one of his friends who then told someone else and so on." He explained when I told him. "The girls who were gossiping about you two seemed to really want to be Derek's date. Are you sure he asked everyone else before coming to you?"

I shrugged. "Maybe Derek isn't the player everyone thinks. Maybe he got tired of being with snobby girls-"

"Date."

It took me a moment to realize it was Tori who had spoken. He'd been so quiet I almost forgot he was there. Almost. "What?" I asked.

"It's a date." He answered a lot more calm this time. Too calm for my liking. At that moment I wondered if I was in trouble for accepting Derek's offer. Funny how it was always something involving Derek that got me into trouble. "He asked you on a date, and you accepted it."

"No." I replied with sudden insecurity. That couldn't be true.

"It is true." Devlyn said. "That's basically what happened."

"I cannot believe you would accept such an invitation from another man." Tori's eyes suddenly darkened. The only thing visible in his eyes were the green flecks.

"Wait." I pleaded stepping back from the two. "I didn't mean to."

"Oh. You're in for it now." Devlyn commented and took that moment to disappear, leaving me alone with a menacing Tori. For the first time in weeks I wished he would have stayed. I put my hands up in surrender and continued to backpedal.