Chapter 8: The Truth

The Truth

Tomari

I stared at the open letters laid out on my bed, all ten of them with that perfect cursive and strawberry scent. I leaned against my dresser, my hand under my chin in a thinking position while my other arm stayed under my breasts. Everyday for a week I'd gotten two of them. One in my locker and another home.

Your life is a lie.

Ada and Alphanso aren't your real parents.

You're one of us.

You're not a Wolf. You're a Walker.

Don't you think its odd you share no mind link with your 'parents' or wolf?

Your 'pack' were not killed by Rogues.

They were looking for you.

You're our Queen.

Life as you know it is about to change.

We're coming for you.

Somehow I was able to hide them all from Devlyn. I felt bad about that. Even though I told him I'd get more information before telling him... I wasn't anywhere at all, but in the same spot as precisely five days ago. I stared at Fluffy who sat next to the letters. I was sure the bear and my dreams had something to do with it. I couldn't explain it but there was a connection...

I ran my fingers through my hair. A shower would surely help my thinking. Yes. That's it. A cold shower. I walked into the bathroom and shut the door. I didn't begin thinking until the cold water began running through my hair. I was a Walker, it said. One of them yet I wasn't because I was their Queen. That is, whoever 'their' is. I didn't put much stock into it but... What if it was true? What if I was a walker?

A walker was the abbreviation for skin walker. Something out of Native American legends that ranked up there with Shamans. However, I wasn't Native American. I was African American, and I didn't recall us having skin walkers... But I digress. Skin walkers were said to hold magic that allowed them to shape shift as long as they had a piece of animal skin handy. When I shifted skin wasn't needed. Then again, the whole animal fur thing could be false.

It would explain why I didn't have a connection to my wolf. Was there a such thing as a wolf skin walker? I shook my head. I couldn't possibly believe anything those letters said. I shut off the water and opened the bathroom door. I didn't really like using towels so I often just put my clothes on without toweling off. It wasn't until I pulled on my pajama bottoms that I realized I wasn't alone in the room. The perv, he'd sat there and watched me pull on my under garments and jeans.

"You've got to stop doing that Devlyn." I growled in the mirror.

"What are those?" He asked calmly. Too calm for my liking. I spun around and glanced at the papers and noticed they had been touched. Uh oh. I jerked my gaze back to his.

"Letters." I answered simply. He pushed himself off the wall and headed my way. I took a step back and before I knew it he stood so close that if I took a deep breath my chest would have touched his.

"Don't try me." He growled. See, now I was tempted to try him. I bit my tongue to stop the words from flowing out. "Is this what you've been hiding from me this whole time?" It took me a moment to find my voice.

"Um... If I said no, would you believe me?" His eyes darkened. "I thought so. Why ask if you know the answer? Look, I was gonna tell you eventually-"

"Were you?" He practically yelled. "Was that going to be before or after you fixed this on your own?"

I looked away. "No need to yell. And probably after?" I muttered the last part. Damn it. Any other time I would have had a sarcastic retort. It was always with him that I lost my footing. "Look, I didn't want to bother you with this kind of thing. It seems like every time I tell you something its negative-"