Chapter 21: Self-Control

Self-Control

I let out a small cry of pain as I applied the salve to my cuts and bruises. I was in the bathroom patching myself up, and it hurt like a bitch. I didn't know I was hurt this badly. I didn't have enough energy for reiki. Not for all these wounds at least.

When you are taught energy healing they tell you to imagine the negative energy going back into the earth. I was different. My body didn't like to rid of the negative energy. Instead, it took on the bad energy and, due to my empathy abilities, the pain. If I tried to heal myself in my current condition it would solve nothing.

I had just finished wrapping my wrist with rolling gauze and begun on my lower stomach when I heard his voice outside the door. "Mistress?"

I froze. "Yes?"

"Are you okay? Do you need me to come in?" I could hear his hand already turning the knob.

"No need Tori. I'll be out in a sec."

"You sure?"

"Yeah."

"Okay then. I'll be out here if you need me."

I waited until the sound of his footsteps grew softer and softer before exhaling. I should have known he would be up now. He always woke up right when I did. Or in this case, fifteen minutes after. I thought for sure he would come in. I didn't know what I would have done if he did.

Twenty minutes later I was out and patched up. I made sure to wear a long sleeve shirt to hide the wraps. As for my face I managed to scrub up enough energy to erase the small horizontal cut that once decorated my left cheek.

When I exited the bathroom Tori was no where to be found. That's when I figured he was most likely downstairs making breakfast. With a sigh I started the twenty second long journey to the kitchen. The closer I grew the louder those familiar voices became.

"...know, Devlyn. There are four other kitchens. Why did you come to this one?"

"Because I smelled food." He answered obviously, I could hear the scraping of a stool against the marble floor. "I'm sure you would have done the same thing."

"Hey, Tori. Can you whip me up something, too?"

"Sure."

"Okay. That's it," I cut in as I entered the room. "What's going on?" This couldn't possibly be happening. Did Tori really just agree to Devlyn's request? But they were just fighting a week ago. What changed?

"What do you mean, Mistress?" I heard his melodic voice say. I looked in his direction. As usual he was dressed wonderfully. Except this time he'd gone casual. I blinked at the breathtaking sight.

He wore a dark blue button up shirt that seems to outline every bit of his hard torso; clinging. To match that he went with blue jeans and almost midnight blue converse. The jeans weren't so big that they made him seem smaller than what he was, but they were tight enough to hug each of his legs, fitting perfectly.

"What is it?" He asked when he saw my expression.

"What's the occasion? You're not wearing a suit," I replied once I remembered how to speak, forgetting my confusion. I watched as he shoved those perfect hands into his pockets. He leaned against the stove, and gave me a cheeky grin before speaking.

"Oh. This? We're going to spend the day together."

My eyes widened in surprise. Spending the day with Tori? I didn't mind that. It was the fact that I could barely move around that bothered me. Then I was sure he would notice. But if I rejected him I was also sure he would want a reason, and I didn't want to have to lie or hurt him.