Chapter 25: Non-existent

Non-existent

Their arguing was nothing more than background noise to me as I stared at him in disbelief. My body was frozen. My breath hitched. Did he just say...? But it's been an entire month since then. There's no way Tori found something on Z.

Or at least that's what I tried to tell myself. Deep down inside I knew that Tori really did discover something essential to us finding Z. I suppose part of me had already lost hope in the fact that we would find any clues relating to his disappearance.

Slowly exhaling I picked up my fork and, despite my nonexisting appetite, started to eat. "When you say 'found something' what do you mean?" The question had flew out of my mouth before I realized it.

"As a teacher at your school I have access to certain records and..."

"What?" I asked, ever more alert now because he hadn't finished his sentence.

His hazel eyes flicked to mine. "How well did you know your friend Xavier?"

"Apparently not well enough," I muttered; thinking back to what Derek told me. "Just that he had fooled us all into believing he was nothing but a mere human. Supposedly, Z was a vampire," which was something I was still skeptical about. I would have noticed if Z was a bloodsucker. I would have noticed.

"Is that all?" He asked, drawing me away from my thoughts. I nodded.

"Yeah. Why?"

"I don't know how to tell you this."

I immediately tensed at this. "Tell me what?"

"Tomari, there is no record that he even existed."

"And now I've officially lost my appetite," I muttered, pushing the plate away. And then I left my seat to pace in front of the island table, my hands clasped behind my back. "What do you mean there isn't a record? There has to be."

Tori shook his head in response. "There is no record of a Xavier Ives ever attending Blue Luna."

 I slowly came to a stop in front of him. "But that doesn't make any sense, Tori. Z was here. He was here. We had class together and... and we went on field trips together. His mother was..."

"Did you ever meet his mother?" His voice came from in front of me. I jumped; frightened. I hadn't heard him get up. His hand snaked around my waist to catch me from falling over. Even after I got my footing he didn't release me. I wrapped my arms around his waist.

"No. He talked about her a lot but I never actually met her."

"Then is it not safe to assume that..."

My hold on him tightened. "But even if that's true... How did he manage to attend school like a regular if he technically did not exist on the roster?" Even more so, how did Z manage to get passed so many wolves without being detected. Maybe it was time for Blue Luna to upgrade school security.

"I have a theory on that."

It took a moment to register that this wasn't Tori's voice, but Devlyn's instead. We pulled apart just as a hint of a smile touched my lips. "I was wondering why I hadn't heard anymore crashes. You've made up then?"

A corner of his lips turned up. "Of course. It was all just a misunderstanding."

"Oh?"

"She thought I was cheating on her. Can you believe that?" Yeah, I could; I didn't think he wanted me to say it aloud though, so I simply blinked and shrugged in response. "Exactly."

"So what were you really doing?"

"Preparations for the Luna ceremony." There was more to this I knew. I could tell, but I decided to let it go. Actually, I started to ask but Tori cut in before I could.

"What is this theory you have?"

"Oh right," the wolf said as he picked up my barely touched plate and began to eat, and then took a sip from my cup. After his hunger was satisfied he said, "We all know he existed. I saw him. Mari saw him. Even if you were to ask around I'm sure people would say that they remember him. Clearly, he was here."

"So?"

He looked to me. "So, what if Xavier's records were erased?"

Silence fell between us as we pondered Devlyn's theory. It didn't seem invalid. It would explain  a lot, like why there weren't any missing child posters or police investigations. It would also explain how Z was able to attend to school without a problem. Tori was the first to speak.

"That would be quite plausible. It would explain why I am unable to find anything on Xavier."

"But why would someone want to go through all that trouble just to get rid of Z?" Devlyn asked.

I bit my lip in response. Good question. What was it that he could have done that was so horrible to make someone want to erase his whole existence? And then I remembered something Derek had told me:

...A creepy guy with long blonde hair and blue eyes found me about two months ago, telling me about how you were the Lost Princess from the Walker Clan... After my last job I went to the Elders to grab my next assignment. It turned out to be some guy with long blonde hair and blue eyes. His name was Paul Soca. Or Solla. Or. Something like that...

As for where Z is. I'm really not sure... It's my fault he was taken because I showed the Elders the information I obtained...  The Elders have always been pretty bias. And for them they really despise cold-bloods. Mainly because they've all been at the mercy of them...

"The Elders," I whispered.

"What?"

"The Elders, Devlyn." How could I have forgotten? "Derek told me that the Elders have always hated the vampires because there was a time when the cold-bloods ruled with an iron fist. But there's something else..."

"What is it?" Tori asked, sensing the unease in my voice.

"It's about Sota. He's the one who ordered the hit on Z."

-+-+-=--=-=-_=_

Hey guys!

It's been a while hasn't it? Here's the newest update for M.M.D. I hope you enjoyed it. It was going to be a lot longer but I decided to just split it into two since a lot of you guys really wanted an update, and it has been pretty long since the last one. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for reading, voting, following, and all of the feedbacks. I'm glad you like the story. I did some editing for past chapter *heads up* so if you get a but confused like when I changed Devlyn's mate's name- that's why.

I wish I could have uploaded a lot sooner but, as much as I hate to make excuses, I really have been really busy with school and etc. You see, this is what I meant when I said this is your story. It is because of you that I updated just now. I was taking too long (I know I was), you pushed me to update, so I did. And I say thank you for that because I know for a fact I wouldn't have done it any time soon if you hadn't given me such feedback.

And please keep in mind that I do have another book I am writing called Temptation. As I said before, I put that up so that you can read it while I typed the next chapter of M.M.D. It's supposed to be like a filler. Updating Temp means that I don't think I am going to be able to update MMD that day or week, so I try to entertain you with that.

Anyway, next chapter should be up as soon as possible. Once again, thank you for your patience.

Manila