Chapter 15: Dream

Dream

"How much did you hear anyway?" I asked, unsure how to go about the situation. If he didn't hear much then I could lie my way out of this. Maybe. Probably. Not likely. As sharp as he was he would probably detect the lie before it slipped from my lips.

"All of it."

Shit.

I closed my eyes in embarrassment. All of it. He said he'd heard all of it. That meant he'd also heard my confession. Shit. That was the last time I was saying anything like that with Tori in the distance. I forgot he had good hearing.

"I must say I am shocked that you would say something like that, even glad that you laid claim to me but," he continued when I started to protest. "I'm a bit upset that you didn't tell me first."

"Sorry." I muttered. Though I was more sorry he'd heard he was right I should have told him first, but I didn't see any harm in telling Devlyn. It was my way of telling him to back off. "I figured it was the only way he'd leave me alone."

"So you lied about your love for me? Look at me." When I opened my eyes I immediately went to close them. Hurt clouded his eyes and my heart tightened at the sight of it.

"Wait-"

"Why would you lie about something so serious?" His tone was so accusing.

"I-"

"Even knowing how I feel about you-"

"Shut up." I whispered. I think he shocked us both by listening. "What do you know? Don't just jump to conclusions on your own. I didn't lie, okay? What I said to Devlyn... I'd never manipulate you like I do other people. You're different so stop. Just stop."

"Different?" He repeated lowly. "What do you mean?"

"Do we really have to talk about this now?" I asked. I really didn't want to get into this until I gathered at least some of my thoughts. I just figured out I was in love with him a couple of days ago, but I needed proof that this was true. "I'm super tired and some of us have school in the morning." I made a show of yawning. It didn't take much acting though.

"Fine." I heard him say as I drifted off to sleep. I felt him thrust an arm over my waist after rolling off of me and to my side. The last thing I heard as I grew closer to unconsciousness was, "But soon you are going to give me answers and stop running."

*

I was standing in a valley in between green mountains. At the bottom of the mountain there was a village hidden amongst trees. I watched as the people of the village went about their daily duties. Women carrying baskets, men talking as they went out to hunt, children laughing while chasing one another...

Where was I? There was something about the atmosphere and how peace and love filled the air. This all seemed awfully familiar, yet it was all too foreign for me to comprehend.

I headed down the mountain and into the village. No one seemed to notice me. There wasn't even a glance my way. Was I like a ghost to them?

I stopped at the large house standing before me. It very much resembled a mansion. In front of it was a wooden sign with painted letters that read 'Royal Palace.' Clearly commoners weren't allowed in. With a shrug of my shoulders I headed inside.

I don't know how long I walked for before I heard the chattering of servants. Maybe minutes. Maybe hours. I didn't know. As I grew closer to the kitchen the chattering became a lot more clear.

"...Queen be alright though?" A lady asked.

"She's a strong woman." Replied another lady. "She'll make it through this. She's the Wolf Walker's wife after all." Wolf walker... Why did that sound so familiar?