Chapter 19: Fail at Bribery

Fail at Bribery

Tomari

When I awoke from my sleep the first thing I noticed was how cold it was. It felt as though the North Pole had invaded my bedroom. Like a butterfly in it's cocoon I wrapped myself within the large cotton blanket. Shivering. I thought about reaching for my phone to check the time, but decided against it. It was on top of my dresser, and in order to get it I would have to leave my nice warm bed and enter the icy cold. Yeah. Not happening. So instead of getting up for school I stayed in bed, closed my eyes, and eventually drifted off to sleep.

"Princess," That melodic voice called. "It's time to wake up."

Don't make me get up Tori. It's so cold. My bed is spectacularly warm. I don't want to go to school. When he didn't answer I took that as a sign he didn't mind me staying this way. I focused on my slow breathing and the warmth of the cover as I willed myself to return to sleep. But I couldn't. And I knew exactly why. I opened my eyes.

My mate hadn't moved from his spot. He just stood there in his usual black slacks. Shirtless. I couldn't help but stare at his six pack and the caramel skin that covered it. This wasn't the first time I'd seen him shirtless, but it was the first time I truly got to admire his torso.

"Um," I managed to get out while pulling myself into a sitting position. I turned my attention down to the floor to avoid staring creepily. "Why don't you have a shirt on? It's freezing."

"I am not cold."

"Is that so?" I mumbled. I was. I dropped my head into my hands, rubbing my face. Then I yawned.

"Mistress." I made a sound for him to continue speaking. "Why aren't you looking at me?"

Getting to my feet I edged toward the farthest dresser. "What do you mean by that?"

"Your eyes are avoiding me."

Maybe it's because you don't have a shirt on, I thought before I could stop myself. I muttered a few curses under my breath. I'd forgotten to put up the wall. For the next couple of seconds all I could do was pray he hadn't heard me. Of course he had.

"You've never been bothered by it before." My hands stilled at the knobs. He now stood behind me.  He was so close that I could feel the heat radiating off of him, and I found myself involuntarily leaning into him. "What is different now?"

I met his eyes through the mirror. "Well, for starters I never actually took the time to look. Now that I have I find myself feeling like a creep doing it; seeing as you really do have a nice body." I opened the drawer. I could feel my cheeks heating as I continued speaking. "And... well... I know myself pretty well. If you continue to prance around like that I won't be able to keep my eyes off of you once I start looking. And soon my hands will replace everywhere I've looked..." I didn't bother to look up again because I didn't want to risk seeing his face; though I was pretty sure he held some kind of smirk on it.

"I'm going to get ready for school," I said as I brushed pass him.

"It's Saturday."

I slowly came to a stop, finally turning to look at him. Was it really Saturday? He nodded his head. I could have sworn yesterday was Thursday... "Huh. Then I guess I'll go to the library or something," I replied with a shrug.

"It's six in the morning."

"Six in the..." I could feel my eyes widen in disbelief. Six in the morning? Was he insane? I went to check my phone. Yep. There was definitely a six and two zeros there. I groaned. "But didn't you tell me it was time to wake up? I thought for sure it was because of school. No wonder it's so cold," I muttered, tossing the gathered clothing onto the nearest chair and hopped back into bed.