Chapter 3: The Amused

The Amused

Tomari

I felt my lips tighten into a smile; upset. "I wish you'd stop lying to me, Devlyn. You know damn well that I hate it when-" He didn't allow me to finish. His lips crashed onto mine. If this was his way to shut me up it was very effective.As if it was never there I forgot my anger and words.

I tried to call on what strength I had left to pull away. For every step back he took one forward, his lips never leaving mine. I felt my back hit something hard. I was backed up into a wall now. I was cornered. However, all of the fight within me finally drained when he nipped my bottom lip and plunged his tongue into my mouth as if in search of something.

The kiss grew more intense, and a moan escaped my lips when I could no longer hold in my sounds of pleasure. He smiled against my lips. I didn't have to see it to know it was one of his cunning smiles. My hands slowly made their way to his hair. I loved the feeling of it. Not too rough but almost soft enough to be silk.

I felt his hands move down my back and land on my waist as he pressed himself into me. "Devlyn," I moaned. I wasn't sure what I wanted him to do. I just wanted him to do something. He took hold of my hips and picked me up. And as if they had a mind of their own my legs wrapped around his waist.

He took his hands away from my hips, grabbing my hands from out of his hair before pinning them on either side of me on the wall and breaking the kiss. He watched me through clouded eyes as our breaths came out in short pants. I've never seen him like this before. He looked at me as though I was the most precious thing in the world. His eyes were filled with a mixture of emotions, but all I could make out was lust and desire.

"If I didn't love you," he spoke to me in a soft voice, and his breath gently fanned my face. "I wouldn't have stopped. I would have taken you upstairs." My breath hitched at the thought. The images that flowed into my head at his words... I involuntarily moved my hips against his. He pushed me harder into the wall with his body as his hands still pinned my own on the wall and I gasped. "Will you stop that? I can't think!"

"But it's your fault for saying something like that!" I shot back. "I can't help it if my thoughts become tainted with want and my body does something by itself."

He grew quiet and his gaze fell on my lips. "You're making this really hard for me." I shook my head and then slowly swiped my tongue across my lips. Honestly, I did the last part to mess with his head. I wasn't sure it worked until he growled. "You did that on purpose."

"Did what?" I asked innocently. I knew what I was doing. I was testing him and his control. His eyes narrowed. "What's with that? I really don't know what I supposedly did on purpose."

"Didn't I tell you never to lie to me?" His voice sounded strange.

"Probably," I answered shrugging. "The real question is are you going to let me go?" His expression went blank and I rolled my eyes. "I meant, do you plan on putting my feet onto the ground anytime soon?"

That blankness on his face quickly disappeared and a dangerous smile appeared. It was as if he was really thinking about it. "Sure." He sat me down onto the counter but he didn't let go off my hips.

"What is it?" I asked when he didn't speak for a long time.

"Why didn't you take my father up on his offer?"

I snorted. "That wasn't an offer. It was an order." I began to run my fingers through his hair. "And I didn't follow his order because I have no interest in pack life."

He didn't speak for a while. "Are you sure it's not because you're afraid we'll all be attacked by rogues if you join us?" My heart skipped a beat and I slowly stopped playing in his hair. He'd seen right through me. How did he know? When I didn't answer he used his finger to tip my chin down and meet his eyes. "I would never allow anything to happen to you. You know that, right?"