War memories

You went to your room, upset. They were judging you. You were angry, and tired of being underestimated:

First, because you were a woman you couldn't get in the army.

Then, they wouldn't let you command anyone.

Then, your team would be disrespectful to it's senior officer.

After that they were all going to think that because you had lived fourteen years you couldn't beat all of them without any weapon.

You were at the verge of crying when there was a knock on the door.

You sallowed hard and wiped away your tears.

"(Y/n) you okay?" It was Steve's voice.

"No." You answered

"Can I come in?" Steve asked.

"I'm sorry. A woman cannot let any man into her bedroom if he isn't her husband."

"Oh..."There was a silence."can you come out then.. We can go to the roof. The others won't bother you their."

You sighed. You reached for the handle and opened the door.

Steve led you to the roof. It was a beautiful night although I was cold.

You were still in your clothes you had worn during the combat namely a tank top and a jogging shorts.

You shivered. Steve noticed you and took his jacket off from his shoulders and wrapped it around yours.

"Thank you." You were slightly warmer.

"Do you want to talk about what is wrong." He asked.

"No" you answered. " you wouldn't understand."

"Oh. I see how it is." You chucked at his comment and let him continue: "I was born in Brooklyn. I was a skinny kid. Got beat up in ever alley. I was determined to go to war. I got tested and only afterwards got the attention I wanted. But the thing was they didn't love Steve Rogers. Me . They loved Captain America. I fell in love with someone. Peggy Carter, that was her name. She was amazingly beautiful. But I never knew If she loved me for me or for Captain America." He stopped as though he was about to talk about someone else but decided against it.

"My turn to share?" He nodded. "Promise not to tell?" You asked

"Promise."

"I am a woman."

"I noticed." You playfully nudged him. He laughed.

"I was underestimated by everyone. I fell in love with one guy. Luc, that was his name. He wasn't strong but he was clever. He was my height but he was four years older than me. He was the only one who thought that I could do and be whoever I wanted to. And he's dead..." Your voice broke.

"Nobody's going to underestimate you here. You beat two of the world's best heroes in one day while only eating bread and milk for lunch and dinner. You are the most amazing new addition the team could ever have." He said.

You smiled.

You stood up there for a while, watching the town.

"It's changed so much."

"America."

"The world." You said.

An idea popped into Steve's head. He'd been searching for a new way to spend time with you. He had enjoyed going over the pronunciation of every word in the dictionary with you:

"I can help."

"With what?"

"To help you adapt."