Chapter One:The Graveyard (Aza's POV)

• Dedicated to Teresa Robertson (My Mom)

    I stood in front of the fallen angel grave stone. It's face was angry and cold, the exact opposite of my mother. She was eternally happy, even when times were tough. I fought back a sob as memories flooded my mind's eye. Her pretty face smiling at me whenever I drew a picture for her during kindergarten. Kissing my cheek each night. Chatting about handsome boys we saw at the mall. I heaved a sigh. Those things would never happen again. Of that I was sure.

    I dropped to my knees in front of the horrible statue. I could feel the moistness from the grass soaking into my black jeans. Gazing down at my hands, I whispered "I love you Mom. I'll be okay. So don't worry. I will make you proud and will survive. Maybe I'll even have that castle I talked about when I was seven. I will never forget you. Goodbye, Mom. I miss you so much." My voice broke on the last sentence. I gently placed a single deep red rose on her grave.

    'I'll be okay' I thought. Taking a deep breath I stood, brushing dirt and grass of my knees. I turned and was walking away before he spoke. "She knows you'll make her proud. You look like you could achieve anything. " I jumped. I flipped around and glowered in the direction of the deep voice. Underneath a great oak tree, a boy with antifreeze green eyes lurked, watching me intently.

    What the hell is he doing? "Who in the hell are you?!"

    "Not telling you. But I will tell you what I'm doing. Watching you say goodbye to a supposedly wonderful woman. So, my best friend is taking you in."

    "Supposedly!" I screeched. " She's the best person on the goddamn planet. Wait... did you say your best friend is taking me in?"

    "Yes, Ma'am, I did. He is a great guy, and his mom rocks, but somehow I think once you move in it'll be a lot cooler to come over."

    I smirked. "Yeah right, Perv."  With that I turned and stomped off, a lot more oomph in my step than there had been before. Maybe it was because I was imagining stomping on his fat head. The world may never know. Or at least they won't know until he pushes me over the edge and I actually do it. I'll make sure I am wearing stilettos.   

   As I walked off, the pain and sorrow pounded into me full force. I couldn't believe I would never see her again. My mom was everything to me and now she's gone. But I have to toughen up, because if I remain weak, I will never make it anywhere. I'll always be alone. Forever.

   After twenty minutes of walking I entered my small shotgun cabin expecting silence and oh so glorious solitude, but instead I saw a plump couple with a tall teenage boy standing awkwardly in the living room. Oh lord. Please tell me they aren't the fosters. "We are your foster parents, hun. I am Angie, my husband is William, and this handsome boy here is Jacob. We want to leave right away so, please pack up your things quickly."

   I stared. I was leaving today? Since when? The woman, Angie, was short and fat, with short stubby fingers and legs. She wore way to much makeup, and it made her look like a clown put it on for her. Trying way to hard to be pretty and only making herself uglier. The man, William, was pale and scrawny. He looked like a bird and most likely was wimpy and scared to stand up to his wife.

   The son was okay. Tall and muscled, he had a strong bone structure and baby blue eyes, but I was into dark, so he didn't interest me. He also had a way of standing and looking about that made him seem arrogant and self righteous. I instantly hated him. "Hun, you need to hurry, not just stare like an idiot." I glowered at her. Fighting the urge to flip her the bird, I turned and headed over to my room.

    Once I entered the familiar and empty room, I let out a breath I hadn't known I was holding and looked about, trying to calm myself. I took in the deep purple walls and lavender lace curtains. The four poster bed with a purple comforter with elegant black swirls. I gazed blankly at the knick knacks I had collected over the years. Sighing, I snatched a duffle, already full of clothes, and tossed it into the hallway. I could hear bitch woman telling her husband to put it in the car.

    I grabbed a box and packed my favorite books and figurines in it. I then snatched the blankets and things off the bed, folded them and packed it into yet another box. I grabbed my things and stepped out of my room. They gazed at me with glazed eyes, and it reminded me of the empty stared of sheep. William put the boxes in he trunk.

    They climbed in and looked at me expectently. I took a deep fortifying breath and sat down next to Jacob. As we drove off, I stared sadly out the window, knowing life was going to change and not for the better. But I put on a brave face, and prepared to face my new life.