Chapter Twenty-three:Floating (Abe's POV)

I was surrounded in thick darkness. I didn't like how heavy it was, but there was no pain here. It was quiet. Peaceful. I wasn't sure if my eyes were open, or if I even had eyes. It was so strange. The quiet was strong, but didn't make my ears ring with the force of it. The darkness was what would normally be classified as unpleasant, and yet, it didn't truly bother me. It was like lying in bed when you are exhausted after working hard for a long time. The comfort and stillness overwhelms your weakened defenses.

    I searched my mind, trying to remember. Nothing came up in my mind. I continued to pick through my thoughts. They eluded me, but I didn't sense anything wrong with that fact. I felt strange, like my body was asleep, but my mind awake. I saw a flash of color. I turned my head, it didn't feel like I had moved. I focused my bleary gaze on my right. The black parted there, separating smoothly, looking like a gently flowing river when a finger is dipped in it's depths.

    I saw a drop of red fall in front of me. I stared blankly. I bent forward and brushed my fingers through it. My dark finger came back smudged with brilliant crimson, smelling of rust and copper. I looked curiously at my finger. My nose recognized the scent, but I didn't know what it was. My brain came up with nothing. A knife was hurled past my head. It took me a moment to realize it could have killed me. I didn't feel frightened though. I looked at the red stained blade. It was beautiful, a pure silver blade and a white hilt that was ringed with obsidian.

    The Blade of Night.  I heard behind me. I whirled around. Nothing was there. I felt awareness sinking into my mind. Blade of Night. Those words brought memories to me. I saw a gaunt man swinging a sharp blade towards me. I felt searing pain in my hand. I heard a woman's scream of horror. It was the scream that woke me. "AZA!" I screamed.

    I sat up. Everything was white. It was harshly lit, and there was a loud sound coming from nearby. I glanced around, confused. Instantly a wave of pain hit me, causing me to nearly pass out. I gasped with pain. "Abe, you jackass, sit back down!" I heard from my left. I glanced at the owner of the familiar voice. It was Ryan.

    "Where's Aza?" I said, wincing when my throat protested.

    "She's fucking catatonic because you went and nearly got killed."

    "WHAT?!" I yelled. I saw Ryan flinched when blood dripped from my mouth.

    "She has been having nightmares, and she finally didn't wake up." I felt horror take over my body. No. No, no, no. She can't be gone. She can't. I noticed there was something strange here. The area looked crystalline, and unreal. I stood, ignoring the pain. Ryan began to fade. The room vanished. It was replaced with Aza sitting on my sofa. She was pale and extremely thin.

    I know it was stupid to do, but everything, including my suspicions, went down the drain when I saw her sickly face. 'Mate.' My wolf said sadly. She's here, I told him. He didn't believe me. As much as he wanted to, he saw through the charade. I ran to her. I felt my knees hit the floor painfully, but it didn't take long for it to cease. She stared blindly past me.

    "Aza, are you okay?" I asked softly. She didn't look down at me. I touched her soft skinned cheek. She didn't move. "Aza?"  I said anxiously. Still, she did not respond. I felt blood brush my fingers. Fear ran like ice through my veins. I turned her face towards me. Her eyes were a strange slate blue, light and expressionless, like ice. Her skin was cold as snow. As pale to. Blood stained her throat and face. I pulled my hand away and blood gushed from her throat.

    My wolf was sobbing in fear and worry. 'Help, help, help.' He whimpered. I was frozen. My heart quickened, my blood froze, and my eyes glazed over. Please no. I fell to the ground, my side thunking into the hardwood. I stared at her. I wasn't going to live without her. I knew that then, I know it now. I wanted a weapon. I felt a weight in my hand.

    In my palm lay a sharp golden knife. I took it's threatening hilt in my hand, closed my eyes, and forced it deep inside my chest. I felt no pain. It struck an already dead heart.

Hmm, what happened here? Keep reading and you'll find out.