Chapter Sixteen:Peace (Aza's POV)

• Dedicado a Hannah Spinks and my Mom

    I lay in the meadow, my eyes shut against the gentle light of dawn. Abe slept, curled around my body protectively. I had pulled away at one point and he had whimpered like a beaten puppy, his big hands reaching for me. I hadn't realized how much the fight had damaged him. It had torn away his bad boy confidence and replaced it with weariness and pain. I gently brushed my fingers over his brow. He leaned automatically into the tender touch.

    I carefully picked my way from his powerful grip and heard his answering whine. I glanced at him worriedly. "Abe, honey, I just want to sit by the river. I am not leaving. I'm right here." I whispered softly. His wrinkled eyebrows smoothed, but only slightly. I didn't think it was my words that soothed him, it was merely the sound of my voice. It calmed his wolf and comforted the man. Abe had told me that the wolf went crazy when I wasn't by him and that the man wasn't much better.

    I walked over to the river bank, feeling serenity flood me. Abe gave a quiet pleading whimper, but other than that stayed silent. I leaned down and placed my hand on the top of the peaceful river. I felt calm and happy for once in my life. I knew Abe felt the same. He had always been tense, even when he was with me before. Now he was calm and easy going, allowing Ryan to ease up patrols slightly and Connor had said he was considering giving up the position as alpha. He was happy now, and wanted nothing more than his mate by his side forever.

    I hadn't told him about college yet, but he knew it was coming. He didn't want to face it. But, for now  at least, I will focus on the positive things only. I heard a loud startled breath from behind me. I spun around and saw Abe, his eyes glazed over and his face pained and sad. "Aza, come back. Please!" He cried. I winced. I wrapped my arms around my chest and walked slowly towards him. I was wondering if he would strike me if I touched him.

    I took the risk and touched his smooth cheek. He whimpered pitifully, leaning into my palm instinctively. "Abe, it's okay baby, I'm here. I'm right here." He reached for me blindly. I let him pull me into his crushing grip. He needed the comfort. I looked at his face and saw yellow eyes.

    "Aza." I stroked his lengthening hair, feeling it's soft, silky strands slipping inbetween my fingers. I felt his arms loosen. He was waking up. He gazed at me intently, his yellow eyes fading into black.

    "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to squish you." He whispered. "Did I hurt you?" The yellow in his eyes strengthened momentarily.

    "No, Abe, I'm fine." He nodded, not looking certain. I took his hand in mine. It was so big that mine didn't even take up his whole palm. His callused fingers curled over mine. I could see his lingering fear and his wolf's fury at himself over the idea that he had hurt me.

    "I'm sorry."

    "Abe, no apologies needed. You were asleep."

    I wrapped him in my arms, twining my legs around his broad waist. I rested my head on his muscular chest. He sighed and held me tight. I felt peace flow through my blood once more and felt my eyes closing. Abe lay back. We lay together, peace overtaking our systems, sleep attacking our exhausted minds. He was snoring by the time his back was on the grass.

    "Night Abe." She was asleep before she heard Abe's whispered reply.

     "I love you Aza."

Remember, bold and italics is abe and his wolf at the same time. This was not a good chapter, but I had to update so, yeah. Trust me, it won't stay calm forever. There are some surprises up ahead. I'll add music soon.