CHAPTER FIVE - The First Day Of School

Henry, Timber, and the rest of the group went back to Fort Bragg to resume their quiet, small-town life. The new school year was about to begin and for that, Henry was extremely thankful. It would put him back into a routine and take his mind off of his new Lordship. He was in his office looking over his list of new students and creating a seating chart for the next day but he found it slightly hard to concentrate as he worked because Timber was in the living room with The Brian Setzer Orchestra playing 'Jump Jive An' Wail' loudly through the speakers of her boom box. It was overpowering Metallica on the computer enough for him to turn it off. Henry could see her through the glass door. She was dancing the jive with the broom as she swept the floor in her favorite floral blouse, white shorts, and socks. Henry couldn't help but laugh at his wife. He wanted to trade places with the broom handle, but he had to finish everything before school the next morning. Henry turned back to his work and began the chart for his fifth-period class when he heard Timber put the song on repeat.

Henry looked up to find Timber at the office door. The next thing he knew he was being pulled into the living room. Henry couldn't resist her grin. He lifted her and spun her around before he lost himself to the jive. He quickly found that his stress vanished as his feet moved in time to the music. Happiness filled him as he twirled and flipped his wife. His mind was full of Timber as they danced together. By the time the song was over, Henry had a smile plastered on his face.

"Feel better?" asked Timber with a grin.

"Infinitely better," said Henry. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Throw yourself into work and forget the definition of fun," replied Timber.

"You know me too well," grinned Henry.

"I should certainly hope so," laughed Timber. She turned off the boom box and followed him into his office. She hoisted herself and sat on the edge of the desk with her ankles crossed. "So what were you working on when I interrupted you? Besides feeding your misery with 'Unforgiven', I mean."

"Just the seating chart," said Henry. He sat down in his chair and looked at the papers on his desk. "I've only got fifth and sixth periods left. And I happen to think that song fits me. Think about how many lives I've taken in combat. The total got to over a hundred after the war. How is that possible to be forgiven for?"

"Well, firstly, you only killed because if you didn't, you would have died. Secondly, God can forgive you. That's what His Son died for. Now you need to forgive yourself."

"Everybody keeps telling me that but it's easier said than done," sighed Henry. "You know, there are many things I'm thankful for concerning you. One of them is your willingness to drag me to church."

"Did you ever go in Haven?" asked Timber as she readjusted herself.

"No," admitted Henry. "I believed in God. Everyone in Haven does. It's hard not to when you see Queen Aiyanna every day. I just didn't see my soul as worthy. I was convinced that I was a monster from Hell."

"How could you think that way?"

"I was so big during the full moon that other children were afraid of me for a long time. My father died and my mother abandoned me. I thought I was the problem. It took some time but Lord Frost eventually got to me. I got better after that but I didn't really accept faith until you. That first Sunday, when Grace forced me to go to church with you all just before Chad died, was the first time I felt anything."

"Why haven't I heard this before?"

"Shame," said Henry. "I grew up in Haven knowing that God exists. I doubted he loved me. It took your aunt's strength in grief to really open my eyes. I haven't had a problem going to church since then."