CHAPTER NINETEEN - Blood Lust

New Year's Day brought a whole new kind of experience for Timber. She had just finished feeding Renegade his early afternoon meal in his bedroom when a solemn bell began to ring. It rang slowly and it could be heard all over the castle and throughout the city. The sound filled Timber with a deep sadness beyond her comprehension. She knew she must have heard them before in her life but she didn't understand her emotional reaction until Henry came into the room.

"We need to go to the main road," he said. "We're bringing in a new member of Haven. I'll explain on the way."

Henry picked up Renegade and wrapped him securely in a thick wool blanket while Timber put on her coat and shoes. She followed Henry out of the suite.

"What's happening?" asked Timber. "Why are bells ringing?"

"The bells are a sign of an incoming abandoned or orphaned part human child," said Henry. "It's an unfortunate reality that happens a few times a year. Usually, it's a werewolf because strays attack more often than vampires."

"What's going to happen to the child?" asked Timber.

"We're going to greet them. We line up along the main road with locked arms and our heads down. It's a symbol of nonjudgement and protection. I was terrified when I arrived but when I saw everyone, I felt oddly comforted. It's a difficult thing to explain unless you've experienced it."

"What is going to happen afterward?"

"A long process of placement," said Henry. "If the child is a werewolf, I will need to be there because I am the pack Alpha. You should be able to be with me. The child will be fed, cleaned, and then he or she will be allowed to spend their first night in the castle in a special room with Queen Aiyanna becathe use children feel the most comfortable with her. Tomorrow, they will be asked many questions about their life, their parents, and things they like. It will help them find a caregiver best suited for their needs."

They walked through the castle doors to find the entire city lined up and Lord Avanti at the end of the line near the front steps to the castle.

"It is a werewolf," he said. "A little girl about six. She was not in good condition. Lord Frost was able to revive her but she is going to receive extra medical treatment as well. Will you be available tomorrow for the Quaerentem?"

"I will make myself available," said Henry. "It's time. She's here."

Timber followed Henry's lead, locked elbows with him, and looked at her feet. Renegade had fallen asleep at Henry's feet and Henry seemed to be focused on watching him. Timber kept her attention focused on her nose. She could hear the clear footsteps of Lord Frost through the snow. Then she could see his feet with a tiny pair right beside him. Then her nose was triggered and her brain began screaming at her. As soon as Henry looked up, she looked at Lord Avanti.

"I need to see her. Now."

"Why?" asked Lord Avanti.

"She smells like Gina," said Timber. "I just need to see her face."

Lord Avanti looked back for a moment, then back at Timber.

"Alright. Can you bring Renegade to daycare? Henry needs to be with her right now."

"Right away," said Henry.

Timber and Henry wasted no time. Once Renegade was safe with Louise, they followed Lord Avanti to where they were keeping the child. Lord Avanti knocked on the door and poked his head in. Lord Frost was beside Aiyanna and the girl, speaking gently to her. He looked up and excused himself he joined them and closed the door.

"I need to see her," said Timber immediately. "My nose recognized her smell."

Lord Frost looked shocked. Then he became unreadable but Timber could see the wheels turning in his mind.