CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN - Letters From Home

The following Monday, once all of the carnival rides and booths had been taken down, Henry went out to the archery range with the men and women who had signed up to join the battle. Lord Frost and Lord Avanti stood with him as people surrounded them with their own newly crafted swords. Timber had gone to watch the training session and she brought Renegade with her so he could remind them why they were fighting. The crowd seemed thrilled to see Renegade and he greeted everyone with a series of cheerful barks and a wagging tail.

"First up are the swordsmen," said Henry. "Then the archers and last will be the hand to hand combat. I have already discussed this with Lady Timber. If you can get past me in the hand to hand, you will take on my wife. She wants a challenge and she is already accustomed to my fighting style."

"I'll take 'er on," said a smug voice. Brenwen stepped forward looking arrogant and cheerful. "I'll bring 'er down no probl'm. How's she suppos'd to beat me? She's a girl and girls are weak. They're meant fer nothin' but cookin' and havin' kids."

"You'll have to get through me first before you get to Timber and if I recall correctly," said Henry with obvious aggression, "you couldn't even do that in school."

The crowd sniggered. Timber reasoned that Brenwen didn't just bully Henry.

"Yeah, but I've been trainin' ev'ry day," said Brenwen. "You've gone soft."

"Brenwen," said Henry calmly, "sit." Brenwen was forced down to the ground and the crowd laughed as he glared at Henry. "I trust we will have no further disruptions. Now, I want the swordsman to divide into three groups. One group each for myself, Lord Frost, and Lord Avanti."

The crowd separated. The archers stood off to the side while the swordsmen split into three groups. Then it was chaos. Henry and the Highers moved as one into the group. Swords clanged against each other like clashing teeth. Lord Frost was the easiest to keep track of in the crowd as he was the tallest of the three men. His long blonde hair swooshed over the heads of many. Timber watched the crowd. They were all skilled enough to defend themselves but Timber could see that some of them were struggling. When it was over, Lord Frost, Lord Avanti, and Henry called several individuals out of the crowd and told them to come forward. They pointed out and corrected mistakes and tried again until they were not losing their balance. Timber watched Henry proudly.

When Henry and the Highers were satisfied, they called forward the archers. Together, they lined them up in staggered rows. Lord Frost gave the order and they fired. Arrows flew through the air and landed either on target, or feet shy. Again, they separated those who needed help and worked with them one on one. They corrected how they held the bow and showed them how to aim properly. They had the group fire again and the results were better. This time there were no arrows on the grass. Instead, the targets had been hit. Some of the archers looked disappointed with themselves.

"Do not worry about complete accuracy too much right now," said Lord Avanti. "Right now you need to get comfortable with your weapon. Accuracy will come later. Now. I need everyone to set their weapons aside and come stand in the field. I want you to access your fighting skills and determine your level. I want the advanced group to go first. Then the group with some level of skill. The beginners will go last so we can work with you one on one the best we can."

The mass divided like the Red Sea into three groups, the advanced group being the largest of the three. The others went to sit down and watch while Henry and the Highers got into position.

"Your goal," said Lord Frost, "is to bring us down. You do not have to hold back. You may strike us. Be warned that we will not hold back either and you may come out of this bruised." He smiled and then nodded his head.