CHAPTER SIX - Battle In Noyo Harbor

The first week of the school year went by rather quickly for Timber. She found herself kind of excited to be in a dress for the concert that night, which was conveniently the first day of September. To Timber, it was the anniversary of when she realized that she had a crush on her history teacher. She could see how excited Henry was about that night too. In fact, he was so excited; he had deliberately skipped giving any homework over the week so he could daydream about it. The idea of Henry daydreaming made her very happy. When four o'clock on Friday rolled around, after she had finished decorating the house for fall, Timber left the house after setting a handwritten note for Henry on the kitchen counter.

My Dearest Henry,

I am absolutely thrilled about the concert tonight. I can't wait to see you all dressed up. I am at my aunt's house getting ready. I don't want you to see me yet. I got a reservation at Mayan Fusion at six. The reservation is under your name. I'll meet you there. I love you.

- Timber

She drove to her aunt's house and the two spent the next few hours gossiping about everything under the sun in the master bathroom while she got ready. Grace was helping Timber curl her hair because she was still awkward with a curling iron and Grace curled her own hair every morning.

"Henry is goin' to be as happy as a tick on a fat dog seein' you like this," said Grace as she took down the last curl.

"You're doing it again," laughed Timber.

"You know I can't help it," giggled Grace. "I'm a Southern woman. It runs in my veins."

"So much so that I occasionally sound like you. The girls think it's hilarious when phrases like that come out of my mouth."

"I think it's cute," said Grace. "Emily will never admit it, but a few months before you moved in, she tried so hard to talk like me and copy my accent. It was adorable. Of course, you and Emily both ended up with a Southern accent anyway because mine is so thick. Go ahead and take the comb to your hair, Darlin'."

Timber laughed and loosened her curls so they fell in long, voluminous waves. Then she put on a shade of deep red lipstick and turned to Grace.

"Well?"

"You're beautiful. You remind me of a younger, less wrinkly me."

"Thank you," grinned Timber. "You're still beautiful, Aunt Grace." She cleaned up her makeup and sprayed on her light perfume before stepping into her black lace heels.

"It's about time to go," said Grace. "Are you ready?"

"Yes, Ma'am. Wait. Where's my clutch?" she asked, looking around the bathroom.

"It's on my bed, I think. Yep."

Timber grabbed her red clutch, took one more look in the mirror to make sure she looked alright, and then followed Grace to her car. Grace parked in the front of the restaurant and Timber got out after saying goodbye. She walked into the building and her nose told her immediately that Henry was waiting for her. She saw him and she lost her breath for a moment. He was dashing in his white dress shirt, grey vest, and matching fedora. Timber saw him swell with pride as she approached him, ignoring the other men who were watching her walk by. He got to his feet and stared.

"Hello," said Timber with a smile.

Henry seemed to forget how to speak. He opened his mouth but no words came out. His eyes followed every curve that her short, tight black dress showed off. Timber just smiled at him and kissed his cheek. He snapped out of his daze and handed her the bouquet of yellow roses he had on his seat. Timber took it with astonishment and gratefulness and held it up to her nose. She looked up at him with the flowers covering half of her face but Henry could see in her eyes that she was smiling. Henry pulled out Timber's chair for her and silently invited her to sit down. She was clearly surprised but she sat down and allowed Henry to push in her chair.