CHAPTER FOURTEEN - The Black Wolf

Before she was ready for it, Timber was sixty-three days pregnant. She had been worried about being bored since she was confined to her bed and the couch for the last two weeks at her aunt's recommendation, but her friends stepped up to the plate and exceeded every expectation. At least one of them spent time with her every day, helped her keep house, and did laundry for her though Timber insisted that she at least fold the laundry. Even Ashley came over to help Timber stretch every afternoon after she got off of work. It was something they began doing together since they were both pregnant and they enjoyed it. Timber had once lost herself while stretching and frightened Ashley by Turning suddenly and growling at her. Henry had to intervene and calm Ashley down. He explained what was happening and that she was in absolutely no danger from Timber. The next day she came back and made sure she avoided accidentally putting her hands close to Timber's stomach.

Henry too had taken on more responsibility for Timber and did the grocery shopping, carried her up and down the stairs, and helped Timber bathe since she was not as flexible as she was before and she could not reach past her knees. Grace was over to cook dinner every night and she would occasionally bring Sebastian. Much to Timber's delight, Henry and Sebastian were getting along, though she suspected it was a front on Henry's part for her sake. He didn't know Sebastian had been by every day while he was at work to keep an eye on the house and protect Timber since pregnancy had rendered her practically defenseless.

Timber was often overwhelmed by how many people were putting their lives on hold to take care of her and her unborn son. She felt the urge to do something to show her appreciation. As she lay in bed one night with Henry helping him with his last lesson plans, she was struck by an idea.

"We should throw a party," she said, putting down the worksheet she was holding.

"You're in no condition to host a party right now, Baby," said Henry soothingly as he rubbed her swollen feet. "You couldn't even put up a tree. Why do you want to throw a party?"

"After Renegade is born," said Timber, feeling slightly excited about her idea. "It'll be a thank you, I love you, and a goodbye party all rolled into one. We'll order pizza and just have sodas and punch. Nothing fancy. No balloons or streamers. Just our friends and family."

"Well, to be honest, I'm not really ready to think about goodbyes yet," confessed Henry, "but I think a party is a good way to say it."

"I don't want to leave either," said Timber sadly. "This is home. My family and friends are here but to stay would be locking Renegade in a house-shaped cage. I don't want to do that to him."

"Neither do I," said Henry. "How is he by the way?"

"Sleeping right now," said Timber, putting her hands on her watermelon-sized stomach. She had grown quickly in the last two weeks but thankfully, Grace had kept most of her maternity dresses so Timber had clothes to wear. She didn't care how out of date they were. She liked that they were comfortable. "He's been moving around a lot today. I think it may be due to the ice cream I had after lunch."

"Sounds like Emily," laughed Henry.

"My thoughts exactly," said Timber with a grin. "Just a few bites of ice cream and she could bounce for hours." She paused. "Renegade is never having ice cream."

Henry laughed.

"I've been wondering recently why I'm so big considering I'm not carrying long and I am carrying a puppy, not a baby. Puppies are smaller."

"I've been wondering that myself," said Henry. He moved up on the bed and lay beside Timber. "You're almost the same size as Ashley."

"I wrote to Catalina yesterday about that. She wrote back this morning. It's because Renegade is bigger than the average puppy by about three pounds and the extra wall inside my uterus is what is making me so big." Timber sighed. "He's awake now. I'm not going to get any sleep again tonight. I am never giving him ice cream. Ever. Do you hear me in there? No more ice cream. I swear he's having a rave party in there. When he's born, don't be surprised if I give birth to a disco ball too."