CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving morning at Grace's house brought a welcome surprise. Timber had gotten there early with Henry so she could help Grace in the kitchen as she was cooking her usual belt loosening feast. Despite Chad being gone, his parents and brothers still made the annual trip to Fort Bragg from San Francisco to see Timber (They saw Emily once a week since she lived in the city for school). They had arrived the night before and had come over at eleven in the morning to start the traditional football game. Just after they arrived, there was a knock on the door. Timber opened the door and squeaked in delight.

"Emily!" cried Timber happily. "Oh! I wasn't expecting you! I was told that you were cramming for a test!"

"You really think that I would miss seeing your pregnant belly?" joked Emily.

"Come on in. Who is this?" asked Timber, seeing the man beside Emily for the first time.

"This is my boyfriend, Joe," said Emily. "He came with me so he could meet you and Mama."

Timber observed him for a moment. He was tall and strongly built but not as tall or muscular as Henry. He was casually dressed in jeans, a red and black CCSF football jersey with a duffle bag in his hand. She narrowed her eyes and looked him up and down, waiting for something to trigger her but she got nothing. He stood there calmly. She did not feel uncomfortable about him so she moved to the side to allow him entry into the house.

"You must be Timber," said Joe, holding out his hand, "Emily's cousin."

"Yes. It's good to meet you," said Timber, taking his hand in hers and gripping firmly. "Emily has told me a lot about you."

"She's told me a lot about you as well," said Joe. "She speaks highly of you. I was also warned you might stare me down."

"Emily, Joe, you're here!" said Grace, coming into the room with her apron over her plum-colored dress. "How was the trip?"

"Hi, Mama! What trip? I slept the whole way here," said Emily with a grin.

"Of course you did," laughed Timber.

"Joe, do you play football?" asked Grace.

"I do," he said. "I'm currently on the college team."

"The rest of the family is out in the back gettin' ready for the game if you want to join," said Grace. "I hope Emily warned you to bring extra clothes."

"She did. Thank you, Ma'am," said Joe.

Grace smiled and showed him outside.

"He's cute," said Timber to her cousin.

"I know, right?" said Emily.

"Are you going to play with them?" asked Timber.

"No," said Emily. "I want to watch. The man has muscles. I like to watch him use them."

"I totally understand," said Timber with a grin directed over at Henry.

"So, I gather you aren't bothering with maternity clothes," observed Emily, taking in Timber's attire. "You usually dress up for Thanksgiving. Come to think of it, I've never seen you in leggings before."

"I won't be pregnant long and I think my Crimson Tide t-shirt is appropriate enough for today considering," said Timber. "Leggings are all I find comfortable right now too in the cold. Let's go outside so I can sit. Today isn't one of my best days."

Grace, Timber, and Emily took side seats on the patio with Papa and Mimi and the wives to watch the start of the game. Joe and Henry were on the same team against Chad's brothers. The oldest sons were with their fathers and the youngest were with Joe and Henry. Papa blew his whistle and the game began.