CHAPTER EIGHT - San Francisco

Henry took Timber to a large park on the north side of the city that was almost empty when they arrived. Timber didn't feel like she was in San Francisco but rather somewhere unknown and untouched by mankind. Timber and Henry walked the trails and looked around. They were not too far in when Henry left the main trail and began looking for something specific. Timber spotted a large windmill and was happy when Henry led her in that direction. There were flowers everywhere surrounding an open lawn. For several minutes there was no one there.

Then she noticed an aging man and a large dog walking towards them. Timber choked and froze, staring at the dog and waiting for it to growl at her. However, the salt and pepper-colored dog looked excited rather than angry but Timber was still afraid. Timber backed away with a white face. Henry took her hand and pulled her toward the dog. Timber growled at her husband but he would not let her go. Then the wind changed direction. Timber could smell the dog and she realized it was not a purely domesticated animal. Timber stood still mostly because she was curious why the dog wasn't barking at her like other dogs did.

"Timber, this is Hurley," said Henry. "He's a very special kind of therapy dog. He was trained to work with the children from Haven after a bite. His job is to comfort them before and after their first full moon away from their families. His handler, Jim, is someone I became acquainted with many years ago. He knows who you are."

"Hurley can smell your wolf but as you can see, he's fine with it. He's a quarter Husky and three-quarters grey wolf but he won't hurt you," said Jim. "Hold out your hand and he'll let you touch him.

"I can pet him?" inquired Timber hesitantly. "I can actually pet him?"

"Of course," said Jim.

Timber held out a shaking hand and froze. Hurley walked up to her slowly with his ears perked up but he was lowered to the ground in a submissive stance. He put his head into Timber's hand and just looked at her. Timber began crying. She had always liked dogs, despite her fear of them, but they always hated her because they could smell her wolf. Timber fell to her knees and Hurley began licking her face. Timber smiled and wrapped her arms around Hurley and rubbed his back. She was so happy she couldn't contain herself.

"Is it safe?" asked Timber.

"Here?" asked Henry. He looked around. "I don't see anyone. If that's what you want."

Timber Turned and Hurley barked happily. They ran together, play fighting, and chasing each other across the lawn and around the windmill. For ten minutes, Timber and Hurley played while Jim and Henry looked on.

"So she's really never interacted with a dog?" asked Jim. "I would have thought that she would have some interaction given her age."

"She's been terrified of dogs since she was attacked by one when she was ten," said Henry. "Most dogs hate the way she smells. She's always wanted to touch one but no dog has let her get close. For her, this is a dream come true. For me, this is a way to see her conquer her fear. I wasn't expecting her to play but I'm happy she is. She hasn't had much time for fun recently."

"Hurley is the perfect dog for people like Timber who are afraid of dogs," said Jim. "I've never been called for someone as old as her, though. Most of Hurley's patients are children in Haven."

"I know, and I apologize," said Henry.

"No worries," said Jim. "I am happy to be able to help." He looked at the time. "We have to leave, I'm afraid. I do have another appointment I need to get to in Oakland. Hurley, come."

Hurley ran to him and Timber followed. When Henry said it was safe, she Turned. She was flushed and grinning from ear to ear.

"That was so much fun," said Timber. "Thank you so much for letting me meet Hurley. You're such a wonderful guy, Hurley." Timber ran her hand down his back and said goodbye. "When did you set this up?"