2

"Denise my dear, did you finish my laundry?"

"Yes sir. I did. I whitened your whites and creased your pants just how you liked." I laid the brown wicker basket at the bottom of his silver french double door closet. Which I polished to perfection. The silver was so bright I can see my soul if I stared at my reflection for to long.

He bent down and picked up the first thing on top.

"You did a very nice job." He folded it back and laid it back in the basket.

He grabbed the handkerchief from his shirt pocket and coughed loudly into it.

"Nah what I tell you. You know you not supposed to be up."

"I know. I know." I lead him back to his bed where his ass should be laying.

"You're on bed rest till this cough of yours is gone remember? Doctor Greene is gonna curse you out till next Sunday if you'd follow his orders."

"You know I can't stay in one spot for to long. I get all antsy." I pulled the covers back and patted the spot for him to lay.

"Get right in and and stop all that fooling before you get worse. I'm gonna call Caroline up from the kitchen to hurry with your breakfast and then I'm gone hang up your laundry like I'm 'posed to or your wife will have my head." I put the covers over Mr. Barns legs and hurried out the room.

I get my daily work out walking half way across this ginormous house every day. I work as a servant to these rich people. I gotta walk around in damn near four inch heels all day and they expect me to be swift on my feet.

Imma take my sweet ol' time getting around today. According to my watch is half past eight o'clock and I been here since six this morning. I really can't complain I been working here since I was thirteen, they pay me good and that's what brings me back everyday.

"Caroline how's that breakfast coming baby?" I leaned over her shoulder to see her trying to get the can open. She's new here and I'm making sure she does everything perfectly so Mrs. Barns doesn't kill me.

"I'm hurrying as fast as I can but I'm having trouble opening these damn biscuits. The can ain't working with me today." I took it from her and banged it twice on the edge of the counter and the top opened.

I sat it down and headed for the door.

"Thank you so much. You saved the day." She said pulling the dough out.

"I know." I started out the room to get back to the laundry when Caroline called my name.

"Oh before you go to far. Ms. Victoria said she needed you in her room. I'm guessing it's very important" I rolled my eyes and everybody in the kitchen laughed.

"Oh Lord Jesus. Help me."

I left from the kitchen and made my way 'cross the east wing of the house.

My feet barked and howled with every step.

I took in a deep breath trynna act like I didn't almost run over here. I knocked twice on the door.

"Hurry and get in here."

Smile Denise. Smile. Your shift is almost over.

I forced myself to stretch my lips east and west to give the winch a friendly smile.

"You needed me Ms. Victoria?"

"About time. I need my toenails painted and hurry. John and I are going out this evening."

"Yes ma'am." She's shoved a bottle of red nail polish in my chest and sat down at her vanity.