5

"Good morning Nisey." Everyone said as I walked through the back door.

"Hi everybody." I walked through the kitchen to the coat closet by the front door to hang up my sweater.

I closed the door and the devil herself standing thinking she was gone scare me. "Yes Victoria?"

"Where were you yesterday?" She said angrily.

"Home. I had the day off." Since you embarrassed me in front of your whole family.

"You should've brought your ass to work. John and I had a date yesterday night and you were nowhere to be found! I needed my hair done and my nails repolished and you weren't here." She's acting strange. Anybody in this house could've don't that.

"You're hair looks fine. Who did it?"

"Annie did and she burnt off a piece of my hair!" She turnt around and there was a clear difference. One side was shorter than the other. But it looks more like a bald spot more than a shortened piece of hair.

She turnt around and there were tears rolling down her face.

Now I know she did that on purpose because Annie does my hair all the time. She went to school for hair.

"I can fix it. I can give you one of these cute short hair cuts like all those flapper girls wear."

"You think that'll look nice on me?" She asked and racked a shaky hand through her hair.

"I know it will. Now go somwhere and relax. I'll fix your hair after breakfast. Got it?"

"Okay." She walked away sniffling and I rushed to the kitchen. The only time she's nice to me is when she's crying and she hardly ever cries. I got my eye on her. Her ass is up to something.

"How's the breakfast coming?"

"Good we only have a hour to finish everything."

A hour? "What's the rush? It's only seven thirty."

"Mrs. Barns called from her hotel saying she's on her way home. And her friends are coming too." Annie said taking care of the puppies Sadie gave birth too the other day.

"Well shit. Let's get a move on. What we got cooking?"

"Waffles, pancakes, grits, biscuits, bacon, sausage, and oatmeal for Mr. Barns." Caroline said opening the can of biscuits by herself this time.

"What's done?" I asked looking at everything.

"The waffles, pancakes, and grits, everything else is in the works."

"Good. I'll check on Mr. Barns." I left out the kitchen and rushed across the house to where Mr. Barns is.

I knocked on the door and heard him faintly say come in.

"How you feeling today?" He don't look to well.

"I'm having one of those days." He adjusted the oxygen mask on his face and sat up. I sat on the edge of the bed and laid my hands in my lap.

"You feel like eating?"

"A little but not really. I had Annie bring me water before you got here and that's been filling me up."

"Just let me know when you want to eat and I'll go get it."

"Thank you Nisey but I'll get it myself." He rested a hand on top of mine and patted it gently.

"You're welcome. Did someone tell you that your wife is on her way home?"

"No. Not at all. I'm not ready for her to come home. When she goes on these little vacations I get to rest and sleep peacefully. When she's here she's crawling up my back every chance she gets." He took the mask from his face and twisted he knob on the oxygen tank. "I can eat whatever I want and say what I please." He started getting out of the bed.