8

Denise

I wasn't doin ta let Dennis mess up my time off. So i got my hair done, nails painted, I deserve it. I've been runnin around all over the city keepin my mind off Norma but she always seems to come back to me.

"New York don't do that." He stopped diggin a hole in the ground and came runnin ta me. Instead of stayin in the house I decided to take New York ta the park. I moved my feet around in the grass and enjoyed the sun as it shined on me. I dug in my purse and grabbed the book I've been readin.

It's called "The Journey" It's based off a time in slavery and it's told through the eyes of some girl name Julie. I'm only on chapter two and I'm already pulled in. New York climbed in my lap and I leaned my back against the tree behind me. I opened the page ta where I had it marked and started to read.

"Denise?" I looked up ta see Leo, James' old Bestfriend, comin toward me with some girl.

"Hi." I put my mark back in the book and sat it in my purse just incase I have to make a quick exit. He's a strange character and I'm not to fond of him.

"How you been I ain't see you in months?" He said standin over me, Blockin the sun.

I put my shoes back on. "Uh I've been well. How have you been?"

"Amazing. This is my girlfriend Louise. Louise this is my Bestfriend's wife Denise."

"Of I've heard so much about you." She said smilin.

"Have you really?" There should be no reason for him to be talking about James and I. It has been more than a few months since I last saw him. Try about four years ago. James and Leo got into an argument and haven't spoken since. James never told me why they ended their friendship. I just assumed it was over something petty and they'd be friends again like they always did. But it never happened.

"Yeah he talks about you guys like your famous."

If my eyebrows weren't raised to my forehead before they are now.

"Well that's mighty sweet of him." I Looked down at my watch. "It's almost twelve o'clock and I'm supposed to meet James for lunch." I stood up, dusted the ass of my skirt off and put my bag on my shoulder. I picked New York up because he tends ta wonder off. "It was nice meetin you Louise and it was nice seein you again Leo."

I started to walk away quickly. He gives me the heebie jeebies.

"Wait Denise!" I stopped and turned around.

"Yes Leo?" I put on a fake smile.

"We should come with you. I'm sure my buddy would be happy to see me."

"I think that's a great idea. I can finally meet all these people you've been talking about." Louise said.

"I can get the car and we can drive over there. All three of us." He dashed away before I could protest. I'm not gonna turn a free ride down.  James works thirty minutes away and it's hot as the Devils piss out here. 

Louise looked down at me and her smile dropped. My God she's a tall woman. I stepped a few steps away so we weren't so close. Leo drove up in this shiny Ford Model T. How can his broke ass afford this? He got out and opened the doors for us. I got in and New York climbed in my lap. Leo got back in and closed the door and sped off.

"Does he still work at Tommy's shoe shiners?" I frowned.

How does he know that? James started workin there eight months ago. How would he know that? Unless he's been there recently.... I doubt he has because I never see him the before.