3

"I'm off to work." I said to James as he stretched himself out on the bed.

"I love you." He said with that beautiful smile of his.

"I love you too." I bent down and kissed him before he started complainin about me not givin him some sugar before I left.

He don't have to be at work till later so he gets to sleep in another two hours or so. Lucky.

I went out to the livin room where Dennis was up eating breakfast. "You gonna bring home dinner today?"

"Yeah." He said with his mouth stuffed with eggs. I kissed the top of his head and grabbed the basket of clean and ironed clothes off the kitchen table.

The sound of Annie and Roy arguin echoed through the hall as soon as I opened the door. They stood out there barkin at each other.

"Will you two hush. It's five in the mornin and you wanna wake everybody in the buildin up. Now kiss each and let's go Annie before we miss the damn bus."

She hit him with her bag before kissin his cheek. She walked beside me as we walked down the hall mumblin under her breath.

"What you all arguin 'bout this mornin?"

"Don't get me started. Roy woke up on the wrong side of the bed and so did I. I don't even remember why we were arguin. It must be the baby. Ever since I got into the my second trimester my memories been shit." We exited the buildin and waited for the bus.

"I don't see how you to can argue all the time. I would knock James block off if he was screamin and cursin at me like that every ten seconds." I got my money ready as the bus pulled up.

"That's how we communicate I guess. If we ain't yellin we having sex and you see that got me walkin around like a whale."

"You not that big yet." We sat down in the two back seats on the colored side of the bus, since Mr. Harlow drive in the mornings.

"Yet." She said rubbin her belly.

"Oh hush you know what I mean. Anyway I'm glad you back on the job, I can't deal with Victoria by myself." Annie rolled her eyes.

"Oh hush. I'm hopin my ankles swell up like two watermelons before we get there so Mr. Barns can send me home again." Her feet been swellin up for the past two weeks and Mr. Barns sends her home everytime. Even though she get to wear a nice pair of flats instead of these high heels the rest of us gotta wear.

"I hope not. Every time you get sent home Victoria has me running all over that house like a chicken with its head cut off. At least she likes you and doesn't make you move unless you really need somethin. My legs were burnin so bad yesterday I thought I was gonna cry."

"I just don't see why you complainin.  You're legs look great." I laughed at her silliness. "Speakin of legs, when you gonna open yours and have a baby." Here she go.

"Annie hush. James and I are to young to be thinking about babies. I can barely take care of my brother now and he's grown. So imagine me running around after his grown ass with a baby on my hip."

"Nisey you 26 years old. I think that's old enough to have a baby."

"But we're not ready yet. James and I just got married three weeks ago. we trynna get our lives together before we even consider a child."

"What's there to get together? You livin on the fourth floor the best apartments Dark waters can offer."

"I'm trynna get the hell outta dark waters apartments. There's a nice neighborhood eight blocks away with five bedrooms, four bathrooms, and a nice front and backyard, and it's in a colored neighborhood. It can be all mine after I save a little bit more money." I need to save five more checks to get the money for the house. I get paid every one or two weeks, All depending if I do my best to kiss Mrs. Barns ass in just the right spot.