10

Dennis didn't have nothin ta say fo' himself. He sat there in the passenger side seat  quite as kept. We don't live far from the train station and I know they run all day and night. I parked the car in a spot not carin if I took up two spaces.

"Get out and get ya shit." I got out the car and grabbed my purse.

Dennis sat there not movin an inch. "Get. The. Fuck out." He looked over at me. 

"Hell no. You not sending me home." He crossed his arms.

"And why the hell not?"

"I don't want to. You ain't sending me back. You ain't never did shit for me! All you do is complain about how terrible I am and how I don't do shit. You just need to let me stay!"

I got back in the car and shut the door.

"I did nothing fa'ya? I should beat you black and blue for lettin that come out ya damn mouth. We lived with Ethel but I had ta work for everythin we had. I was thirteen years old payin my so called "God mother" rent so we could live with her. The only thing she bought us was food as long as I paid my way. I started cleanin out gutters for money around the neighborhood ta keep us clothed. And even then I was buyin hand-me-downs because I couldn't afford new things. Half the time I never had shoes. I made sure you always had everythin you needed. I was a little ass kid takin care of a five year old. I didn't eat sometimes because I didn't have money ta pay my part of the rent. So I gave my last ta feed you. I had ta walk ta school with bare feet, twelve blocks ta get there. I'd be pickin all kinds of glass and metal from my feet just so I could get my education for you. Then I worked a full time job across the street at the Barns house where they racist ass mama could call me all kinds of names. But I sucked it up and went ta work ta put you in school. I walked you miles with you on my back that fancy ass elementary school I paid for, remember that? I woke up at four in the mornin everymornin ta get you there on time and ta get myself ta school. But I've done nothin fo' ya? I still work a twelve hour shift so you can have nice things, so you can eat fancy shit, so we can live in a nice apartment, so I can move you into a house so we can start over. Me! I did all those things befo' James came along! But I've never done nothin for you? Even when my ass is tired from workin I still make room ta sit up and spend time witcha. And it's all because I love you. But you don't see it nor do you care." I wiped my wet face and opened my door again. "So you have ta go. You can't stay here anymore. This city isn't good for you. You need ta start over Dennis." I reached over and opened his door and got out.

Dennis got out the car and grabbed his stuff out the back seat. I walked ahead of him. I got my money ready and walked through the open gate ta the station. It was hardly anyone here. I stood behind a couple that was laughin and gigglin with each other.

"Here are your tickets. Have fun on your honey moon." The two moved out the way and I stepped forward. "I can help who's next. I reached in my purse ta get my wallet and looked up and you can guess who was before me.

"Hi Denise." He said through the hole in the glass.

"Leo. Uh hi." I said gettin un- comfortable already.

"Where's James?" He asked.

"At home. Can I get a one way ticket ta Virginia. Richmond to be exact. How much is that?"

"$35." I quickly handed him the money and I waited patiently ta get my ticket. "So you finally running away from that husband of yours?"

"No. Absolutely not. My brother is goin home." I moved my hair out my face as the wind blew.

I should've brought a jacket.

"Well if you ever decided to. I can get you a ticket, free of charge." He said slyly and slid the ticket through the glass. "Your lucky all the trains are here. Train 03 will be taking you on your way. Tell him to get off this train in West Virginia and transfer to the number 07 down there. You remember what I said Denise. I'll get you a ticket, free, of charge." He winked at me and I walked away so fast I might as well been runnin.

"Get on the number 03 and when you get to west Virginia transfer ta the train 07 down there." I grabbed Dennis by the arm and I searched fo' the right train for him ta get on. "There's five punch spots on the ticket. Get off the 03 train at the fo'th punch. That's how you know ta get off when they ask fa ya ticket and put the fo'th hole in it." Number 03 was at the front. I hurried and got him on befo' Leo made any more appearances. "Keep ya suitcase close by ya. It's a long trip and some strange people will get on. Sit on the suitcase if ya must but don't let know body take it." The conductor met us at the train door.

"One boarding?" The man asked.

"Yes. It's a one way." I spoke.

"Does he know how this works?" He asked me.

"Yes I explained Almost everything to him." I let his arm go and stepped back.

"Okay. C'mon son." He helped Dennis on. "We were just about to pull out from the station. You have a good night ma'am. We'll take care of your boy."

"Thank you and the same ta ya." He closed the door and I walked along side the train and made sure Dennis was in a good seat. Steam flew from the front of the train and a loud whistle sounded and the wheels started goin. Dennis looked at me from the window and looked at me with his hand on the glass. The train pulled away and I watched till I could no longer see him.

I turned around and pulled myself together so I wouldn't cry.

"Hey Denise." Leo said comin out the ticket booth. "I was wondering if you weren't busy if you'd like to go out and have a late dinner with me?"

"I'm sorry I can't. It's late and I have ta go ta work tomorrow. James is most likely up waitin fa me." I started walkin out the station but I heard foot steps behind me. I looked over my shoulder ta see Leo followin me. I stopped in my tracks. "Why are you followin me?"

"I'm just making sure you make it safely to your car."

"I'm okay Leo. I'm fine. My car is right here." I pulled my keys out my purse and sped up my pace ta the car. I got to the drivers side and there Leo was right behind me. I jumped in fright. "Jesus Leo."

How'd he get behind me so fast?!

He opened the door fa me and I quickly got in. He closed the door and I quickly locked it. I started the car up and put the car in reverse and drove away quickly befo' he could try somethin.

--------------------------------