17

James

I waited till the rain stopped to drive myself home. Opening up to Mr. Barns about Leo felt good. I should've told Denise a long time ago but that's not an easy subject and her being so persistent only made it worse.

"No, no, no." My car started to slow down at I was down the street from my house. I don't have any gas left. "Dammit." I parked on the curb before I got stuck in the middle of the street. I'll have to walk the rest of the way home and get gas in the morning. I need to phone Tommy and tell him whats going on, I'm not going into work or school. That means I'll have to take a few days off and since I started school I been good on going every day. I'm sure my instructor won't mind. 

"Sweet Jesus this is heavy." I heard a woman's voice say. I looked forward and saw a woman carrying a box to the apartment building. "Ma'am do you need help?" I sped up my walk and grabbed the bottom of the box before she dropped it. "Thank you so much." I peeked around the large box to see it was that girl Leo was with. "Have we met before?" She asked. "Yeah we have. You Leo's girl aren't you?" I put the box down at the top of the steps to let her carry it in. I'm not helping anybody who got connection to him. 

"Please help me. I can't carry that box myself. If it means anything to you Leo and I ain't together no more." I folded my arms. "Yeah right. Like I'm supposed to belive that. You probably a liar just like him." I started up the steps but I felt her grab my arm. "I'm not I swear. He hit me. And I left." I turned around to face get. "So what you doing here then?"

I don't know why she's telling me all her business like I care. She could be lying for all I know.

"I live here but I've been staying with Leo since he lives closer to the salon I work at. We got into an argument this morning and he hit me like some stranger on the street. See." She pulled the scarf from her head and pushed her hair to the side, revealing a bruise the size of California on the side of her Jaw. "I swear I'm not lying. Could you just help me with those bags. I don't want him to be driving around and see me standing out here." She put her scarf back on her head and fixed her hair to hide the bruise.

As much as I don't want to help her, her story sounds believable. It would be wrong of me if she is telling the truth to leave her out here like this. "I guess I can help you. What floor you on?" I picked up the box and she ran to her car and grabbed two large suitcases from the back and closed the door with her foot. "Thank you so much. I stay in the lower apartments." I balanced the box in one arm and opened the door with the other to let her go first.

"Does Leo know you live here?"

"Unfortunately yes. That's the downside to me leaving him because he knows where to find me. "My wife hasn't been home since this morning. And Denise told me that Leo told you that he talks about us all the time." She scuffed. "It was more so that he talked about her than you. All he could do was compare me to the girl. He even tried to dress me like her."

Well that's not creepy at all.

"Do you think, he could, maybe have something to do with that?" She stopped in front of one of the doors and put her bags down and drug in hey coat pocket and pulled out a set of keys. "He could. Leo has gotten in trouble with taking things that down belong to him. So I wouldn't be surprised if he did have her."

I froze. "D-do you know that for sure?" She pushed open the door and I swear I could smell that perfume Denise always wears. I'll never forget the smell since I bought it for her for christmas. "No but I can write down his adress." Denise and I never go down to this lower level so I'm sure she hasn't been here before, maybe this lady and Denise wear the same fragrance.