{Chapter} 3

{Chapter 3}

“I’ll have your list filled within half an hour, Mrs. Langley” Aubrey smiled. “Our candles are half-priced if you’d like to take a look at them.”

“Oh, thank you dear.”

Brooke came running into the mercantile, her smile so broad it was a wonder her face could contain it.

“Aubbie! It’s the best thing of my life! It’s the best thing of my life!” She squealed.

“Brooke, keep it down. I have customers,” Aubrey said quickly.

“He asked me, Aubbie. He actually asked me!” Brooke lowered her voice but hopped up and down.

“Ryne? He asked you to marry him?” Aubrey asked.

Brooke nodded, her copper hair bouncing.

Aubrey squealed under her breath. “I knew he would! Congratulations, Brooke.”

“I haven’t said yes yet” Brook said.

“Whyever not?” Aubrey asked, her mouth gaping.

“I don’t know. I just didn’t think a girl was supposed to say yes right away. She’s supposed to say ’I’ll think on it’ then give him her answer.”

Aubrey snorted. Several of the customers looked at her cock-eyed. She paid them no mind.

“You go right back out there and tell him you said yes. Silly girl. You’d torture a man to death!” Aubrey pushed her friend out of the door then went on about filling Mrs. Langley’s order.

**********

Wade got off the train in Lovelace, Tennessee with Jay right beside him. The town looked pleasurable enough, as if it didn’t have a crook in it’s midst.

“Why’s it so quiet around here?” Jay asked.

Wade smiled. “Because people are sober in this town, Jay. Come on; let’s get that horse back to where it belongs, okay?” Wade led Jay by the shoulder down to the livestock car.

After they had retrieved the horse, they walked down the street to the livery stable where he had bought the horse. Normally he wouldn’t buy a horse so far away, but the “mare’s” bloodline seemed to be perfect for his white stallion, Abe. They would have made a beautiful foal, had the mare even existed in the first place.

“Wait out here, Jay. Don’t run off, ya hear?” Wade asked.

“Yup” Jay nodded and clutched the sack of apples he had refused to let go of, even if there were only two apples left in it.

Wade entered the office of the livery stable with a deep, calming breath.

Don’t lose your temper, Dylan. Take deep breaths.

He walked in and a young man with slicked-back hair looked up from where he was studying a book of some sort.

“Mr. Carpenter?” Wade asked.

“That’s me. Can I help you?” Carpenter replied.

“I bought a horse from you a few weeks ago. A man picked it up by the name of Tiny Morgan. I bought an Appaloosa mare and you gave me a…” Wade looked out of the window. “I don’t really know what he is, but he looks like a Tennessee Walker. He’s also a gelding. I think it’s safe to say that there was a mistake?”

“Gotta receipt?” Carpenter asked him.

Wade reached inside his pocket and handed the man the article in question.