{Chapter} 19

{Chapter 19}

“Wade! It’s gorgeous!” Aubrey squealed as she tried on the brown Stetson that fit her head perfectly. “How did you remember?”

“Well, I sorta didn’t” Wade rubbed the back of his neck. “I remembered late yesterday evening, and ran off to town. That’s why I came in so late.”

“You needn’t have bothered” Aubrey told him, then touched the brim of the hat, “But I’m glad you did. Thank you.”

Wade stood. “Don’t thank me yet. Come on outside. I’ve got something to show you.”

Aubrey narrowed her eyes at him. “What else have you done?”

“You’ll see” Wade helped her with a coat then led her outside, making sure Jay was still asleep.

He led her around to the back of the nearly completed barn to where a brown gelding stood.

“Is he for me?” Aubrey stared at the horse.

“No, he’s for J.T.” Wade said. Aubrey gave him a strange look. “Of course he’s for you.”

She smiled at him and approached the horse. “You bought him? For me?”

“Well, I didn’t steal him” Wade smiled at her. “Toni and Erik paid half, though. They wanted to do something for you and didn’t have the time to think of anything. They’re caught up in getting ready for Katie’s birthday next month. They’re gonna redo her little cabin for her.”

Aubrey rubbed the gelding’s neck. “He’s a sturdy fella.”

“Yep. Bet he’ll give Abe a run for the money” Wade said. “Wanna test him out?”

Aubrey twisted her lips. “I don’t know, Wade. Last time one of us took out a horse to ’test him out’, it didn’t end so well.”

Wade smiled and kissed her temple, something he found himself doing involuntarily these days. “I’d say it turned out mighty fine.”

Aubrey sent him a shy look and turned back to her new horse. “He’s gotta have a name.”

“While you think of the name, I’ll saddle him” Wade led her gelding around to the front of the barn.

She followed and he began saddling and harnessing the animal.

“I like Cookie” Aubrey smiled.

Wade shrugged. “He’s your horse.”

No person would catch him owning a horse with a name like “Cookie.”

Yet wasn’t “Snowflake” an equally girlish name for a horse? Poor Abe was the only sensibly named horse around now.

“Cookie it is, then” Aubrey giggled. “I have my own horse now!”

Wade smiled at her from his place on the other side of Cookie.

“I’m glad you like him.”

“You’re an excellent horse-picker” Aubrey smiled.

Wade bowed and motioned to her saddled horse. “Ready?”

Aubrey looked down at her nightgown. “I’ve got to go change.”

Wade smiled as she ran for the house, her loose brown curls glistening in the morning sun. She turned around and smiled at him. He smiled back.

God, what more can I do? I need that woman to love me. I couldn’t live with myself if I forced her to spend her life in a loveless marriage with me.