{Chapter} 29

{Chapter 29}

This is where she was always meant to be. Right in the circle of Wade’s arms as the Sunday morning sun shone through the window behind them. Realizing that he was still sleeping, she lay deathly still so as to not awaken him and cherished the moment.

It had hit her like a brick wall that Wade was her entire world. She couldn’t even dream about leaving Texas now. Not after coming to know Jay and everyone else… and after falling in love with Wade.

She had to tell him her feelings soon. She couldn’t wait and allow her feelings to build up inside her until they came out in a way she didn’t want them to. Feelings like this weren’t meant to be locked up inside where no one knew them.

She felt Wade stir and his grip tighten.

“Mornin’” he said groggily.

“Morning” Aubrey smiled.

“It’s Sunday, ain’t it?” Wade asked, removing his arms from around her to sit up.

Aubrey nodded and rolled onto her back. Wade rubbed his eyes and looked over at Jay.

“Look at him” he smiled. “Sound asleep.”

Sadie lay across one of his arms that lay over on half the bed while Jay’s little form took up the other half. It was a perfect scene.

Remembering how late it was, Aubrey moved to get up.

“I need to start breakfast,” she said.

Wade’s arm encircled her waist.

“The boy ain’t even awake yet” he told her.

Aubrey looked at him a moment before lying back down and resting her head on his chest. “Guess I have a few minutes.”

**********

Erik must have said a wonderful piece from the Bible, because Wade’s attention was focused on him the whole time he was talking. Aubrey couldn’t remember a word he said. Wade had held her hand under the table the constantly that morning. Aubrey could hardly keep her eyes off him. He had such a handsome face, with a masculine, hard-set jaw line that accentuated his beautiful eyes. His brown hair needed a trim, but Aubrey decided that she liked it longer. Everything about Wade was beautiful. From the inside to the outside.

Now she thanked her father for pulling that shotgun on them and making them marry. It was the best mistake that he ever made.

Before she could collect her thoughts, Erik’s sermon was over and she hadn’t heard a word.

I’ll pay more attention next time.

She told herself.

They all stood to go their separate ways, and Aubrey stood by Wade.

“Come push us!” Jay and Sandy ran up to her.

Aubrey smiled down at them. She really didn’t want to leave Wade.

“You go on” Wade told her. “I’ve got to talk to the boss a second.”

Aubrey nodded and followed the children outside.

She pushed them for a while, higher and higher until they squealed with glee or until Sandy cried. Sadie barked down below them and wagged his tail. The puppy was getting bigger by the day - and eating more, too.

Wade came out to the barn after a while.

“What did you have to talk to Toni about?” Aubrey asked.

“Work stuff” Wade smiled.

There was a strange glint in his eyes that hadn’t been there before he talked to his boss. What was the man up to?