{Chapter} 9

{Chapter 9}

Aubrey and Wade stared at the little line shack Toni had let them use.

“Well, welcome home” Wade offered a weak smile.

Aubrey giggled. “I love it!”

Wade stared at her strangely. “You do?”

“It’s so… tiny and comfy in a weird way” Aubrey bounced on her toes in excitement. She knew she was going to love it in her new home.

“But it’s so little and… not at all like what you told your home was like in Tennessee” Wade said, cringing.

“So? That big house was more of a chore than a blessing. Can I see the inside?” Aubrey asked.

Wade motioned her to follow him, and walked up onto the porch.

He pushed open the dusty door and revealed one big room with a little fireplace and a table and a little potbelly stove. There was no bed, so Aubrey was glad for the extra one Toni had given them.

“Reckon I’ll start unloading things” Wade turned to head back out the door.

“Is there a broom?”

***********

Wade smiled at the wall of pillows and a few blankets between him and Aubrey on the little bed in the corner of the line shack. Neither of them had allowed the other to sleep in the floor, so they devised a wall of pillows to give Aubrey peace of mind.

Jay had slept in the bunkhouse with the cowboys for tonight so that he and Aubrey could get things settled and bring him there the next day. Jay had like the idea of sleeping with the cowboys and having to deal with the smelly men all night. If anything, Wade pitied the boy.

A fire crackled in the little fireplace to ward off the chill of the winter night, and the stars shone through the one window above the head of the bed.

“You asleep?” Aubrey whispered.

“No. Everything okay?” Wade propped up on his elbow, hoping she was comfortable.

“I’m fine. Just can’t sleep” she sighed.

“Me either. What do you think of the MC?” Wade asked, resting back on his pillow.

“Toni and Erik seem nice, and of course Katie, too. The cowboys are… well, they’re just like cowboys” he could hear the smile in Aubrey’s voice. “I do have one question though. I hope you don’t mind me asking.”

“Anything you want to know” Wade said.

“Was there… anyone… before you were forced to marry me?” Aubrey asked shortly.

Wade smiled. “No. Never has been.”

“I don’t believe that.”

“Why not?”

“Because, you…you’re nearly perfect. You’re sweet and I believe you’d bend over backwards just to please me” Aubrey stated.

Wade snorted. He wouldn’t do that… would he? Was he that desperate to please her?

“I don’t know about that…”

“It’s true. You’ve been so kind to me when I don’t even deserve it. If it wasn’t for me you would be free as a bird right now” he could hear Aubrey’s resentment.

“Didn’t I tell you not to blame yourself?” Wade propped back up on his elbow.

“Yes, but…”