{Chapter} 18

{Chapter 18}

Aubrey breathed a sigh as she coiled up the lariat Wade had given her. Tomorrow she would be twenty-one years old. She had gone to great lengths to make sure no one but Wade knew, and he had probably forgotten by now anyway. She didn’t want to make a big deal out of her birthday, since it would be her first without her family. How could one really celebrate their birthday without the ones who love you and the ones you love? Yet the thought didn’t hit her as hard as it should. She didn’t really miss that her family was with her, she was just sentimental to the fact that they weren’t. Maybe her birthday in Texas could be just as good if not better. However, she hadn’t told them that it was her birthday, so they wouldn’t know.

She still smiled at the fact that she was free as a bird. She could do anything she wanted and there was no family to consider. Wade and Jay took care of themselves, though she wouldn’t put it past them to die before they cooked for themselves.

For once in a long, long time, she felt completely and totally… free.

**********

“You forgot? Wade!” Katie socked him on the arm for his thoughtless behavior.

“I know. It came to me a minute ago. I don’t have anything for her” Wade was panicking.

“Her birthday is a very important thing, Wade. Especially when she has no family to spend it with. You better think of something and think of it fast. Make it practical, because she needs some more practical things now.”

Wade held up a finger. He had an idea.

“Tell her I had to ride out and I’ll be home a little later. I’ve got to go” Wade situated his hat more firmly on his head and strode toward his horse. There were two things Aubrey needed.

**********

Aubrey paced the floor in front of the fireplace late that night. Wade still wasn’t back. Katie had told her that he had to “ride out” so she supposed that had something to do with the herd. But it was nearly ten o’clock and he still hadn’t returned.

Jay and Sadie were curled up on the bed, and she wasn’t tired, anyway. She had began to get really worried and was starting to contemplate whether to go looking for him when she heard a horse’s hoof beats nearing the shack. She breathed a sigh of relief and opened the door, stepping out into the cool night air.

Wade was coming from the nearly completed barn.

“Where have you been? I’ve been so worried” Aubrey met him halfway.

“I’ll tell you in the morning, hon. Why’d you stay up so late?” Wade kissed her cheek and they both started walking toward the shack.

“Because I was worried. Why wouldn’t I be? I thought something had happened to you” Aubrey wrapped her arm around his waist from the side without thinking, just relieved to find that he was alright.

Wade smirked. “I had some business to attend to in town. I would have told you, but I forgot about it until the last minute. Then when I got to town there was a delay so that took longer than expected. I’m sorry I’m here so late.”

Aubrey smiled at his weary face. It was obvious that he was bone tired. He stopped walking and groaned.

“Oh, I’m going crazy. I forgot to take the leather off Abe. I’ll be inside in a minute” he turned to go.

Aubrey stopped him.

“You go inside and resituate Jay so you can go to bed. I’ll take care of Abe.”

“No, I need to. You…”
“I’m not taking no for an answer. Now go” Aubrey pointed to the house.

Wade stared at her. “I really don’t want ya to, but I’m too tired to argue.”