{Chapter} 21

{Chapter 21}

“Katie, I’ve got an idea,” Wade said that next morning after the Sunday service.

“An idea?” Katie asked.

Wade looked around to make sure Aubrey wasn’t listening in.

“Yeah, I’m gonna need a few things, though. Tuesday I want to do something special for Aubrey. That day we don’t have much to do with the herd, and I’ve done cleared it with Boss so I can take the day off.”

“What sort of things?” Katie asked.

“I’ll explain later. I need you to write down a few things for me.”

**********

“Aubrey, come play with us!” Jay pulled on Aubrey’s hand.

“Where?” Aubrey asked with a smile at the two children in front of her.

“You’re gonna push us” Jay smiled sweetly at her.

Aubrey laughed and allowed herself to be led out toward the swing in the barn. The kids clambered onto the swing and she began to push them higher and higher until they squealed with delight.

“Higher!” Jay giggled.

Aubrey pushed them a little higher but Sandy got scared, so she let the swing slow down. Sadie barked off to the side as the kids giggled with glee.

“Can we go find some frogs?” Jay asked in mid-air.

“There probably aren’t any because it’s so cold, bud” Aubrey said.

“Can we look anyway?” Jay asked.

“You’ll have to ask Sandy’s Momma and Daddy,” Aubrey said.

“Okay” Jay jumped off the swing while it was still swinging.

Aubrey nearly had a heart attack.

“Jay! Wait until the swing stops before you get off, okay?” she cautioned.

“Yes’m” Jay nodded.

Aubrey stopped the swing and Sandy got off, running after Jay. They bumped into Wade on the way out.

“Whoa there, where are you two off to in such a hurry?” Wade asked.

“We’re gonna ask is we can look for frogs” Jay told him.

“Oh, well then be careful” Wade smiled, tousling Jay’s hair.

It was a wonder the boy’s hair didn’t stand straight up with as much as they tousled it.

The kids ran off and Wade smiled at her. “You okay?”

Aubrey nodded and sat on the swing. “I’m sorry about last night. I had a dream and…”

“Don’t mention it” Wade gave her a half-smile, barely revealing his dimples.

“Did you sleep any?” Aubrey asked him.

“Enough” Wade walked behind her and gave the swing a gentle push.

Aubrey smiled even though he couldn’t see her and let the wind whip her hair around her face as the swing gently swayed back and forth.

Wade didn’t feel the need to speak, either. She had been swinging at the same pace for a few minutes, but suddenly she was pushed really high.

“Wade! Wade stop!” She screamed and giggled at the same time as Wade pushed her higher and higher.

She felt herself growing dizzy and the swing was pulled to a stop. Wade stood laughing in front of her.

“You scared the devil out of me,” Aubrey said, still giggling.