{Chapter} 36

{Chapter 36}

Two weeks later.

“Okay, you can open your eyes now” Wade said to his wife.

Aubrey cracked one eye opened then both of them wider than he thought possible.

“Y-You built this?” Aubrey stared at the yellow house in front of her.

“I did. Took me a while, but it’s ours. It’s an hour from the ranch and an hour from town. Guess we met in the middle” Wade smiled.

“We have a habit like that” Aubrey smiled over at him.

“It’s huge!” Jay’s voice rang to them.

He climbed the two steps that led to the wide porch.

“I figure it needed to be for the future” Wade winked at Aubrey, who blushed a deeper shade of red than he had seen on a person’s face.

“Wade, Jay’s right there,” she whispered.

“Hey, Jay!” Wade called. “You want some brothers and sisters?”

Jay nodded. Sadie barked beside him.

“See?” Wade grinned at her.

Aubrey socked him on the arm, then turned to the house. “It’s beautiful.”

“That’s not all” Wade smiled. “I did some talking to Tim Martin and he said he could use your help down at the general store if you want. Just one day out of the week to start out. I couldn’t have you ripped away from me all at once.”

Aubrey stared at him. “Are you serious?”

“Dead serious” Wade said.

She giggled and bounced up and down on her toes. “Oh, my goodness! I can work at a store? Thank you” she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him. “This day keeps getting better and better!”

“Hey, Momma! Look at this!” Jay pointed to the crystal clear windows.

Momma.

Aubrey looked at Wade with tears in her eyes. Wade understood what she was feeling.

Wade wrapped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close.

“We’re really a family now, aren’t we?” Aubrey asked him.

Wade kissed her hair. “We really are.”

Wade looked up at the sky and said a quick prayer of thanks to the Lord for his family and that even when the sky darkened and it seemed that there was no hope in the world, there was His love and grace that would see them through.

“Can I see the inside?” Aubrey asked.

Wade led his smiling family inside the house that would soon become a home.

Thinking back over all that had happened, he knew that he now had proof that some the greatest blessings came disguised as a trial, and even greater blessings came when you didn’t even see them coming.

The End

Thank you guys so much for reading this! Means so much to me!