{Chapter} 15

{Chapter 15}

Aubrey broke down into tears right there, right in front of him. Tears started spilling unbidden down her cheeks without her knowledge or consent.

“Aubrey, what’s wrong? What did I say?” Wade reached out to touch her, but she moved out of his reach.

“You didn’t say anything wrong, Wade. That’s just it” Aubrey wiped tears from her eyes and sniffled.

“I don’t understand…”

“This would be so much easier for me if you at least pretended like you hated me for burdening you like this. I know you told me not to blame myself, but I can’t help it. I just want you to blame me. I want you to yell and me and act cold toward me and act like I don’t even exist” Aubrey blubbered.

Wade smiled. He actually smiled. Aubrey felt mad at him for a moment, and then looked back over at him to see his face had sobered.

“Okay. You feel like a burden? How about helping out around the ranch?” Wade offered. “I could take you to work with me in the mornings, and Jay could play with Sandy. You could go home whenever you feel like it.”

Aubrey thought a moment. “You’d let me do that?”

“If it would stop this ridiculous talk about being a burden,” Wade said.

Aubrey smiled. “I’d love that. Thank you.”

“Of course, tomorrow I’ve got to find Jay a puppy, but the next day you can start.”

Aubrey wiped her eyes and looked up at him. “Ah, yes. The puppy. We make pretty good parents, don’t we?”

Wade laughed at her.

Aubrey took a deep breath and looked around at the land around them as a gentle, cool breeze blew, making her shiver.

“We better get back to the ranch,” Wade said.

Aubrey nodded.

He looked into her eyes for a moment, and then rubbed her cheek with the back of his forefinger. “This is all going to work out. You’ll see.”

**********

Toni walked into the sheriff’s office in Sundance on Monday morning. She had given Adam plenty of time to think about her idea.

“Deputy!” she hollered from the doorway.

Adam came out from the back room. “Oh, hey Miz McBride.”

Toni looked around but didn’t see the sheriff. “Where’s Duncan?”

“Trying to get votes” Adam smiled.

“Well, have you thought about what we spoke about?” Toni asked.

Adam took a deep breath. “Yeah.”

“And?”

Adam sat on the corner of the desk and looked at her. “I reckon I’ll do this for you and myself. It’s a right royal pain working for that man. I guess I know the law inside and out.”

Toni started to smile. “Good. Now just focus on winning. We’ve got to get rid of this man, Sterling”

“I understand” Adam said.

“Good” Toni turned on her heel and walked out. She had other business to attend to and a letter to mail for Aubrey.

Wade’s wife was a peculiar sort. It seemed to Toni that she was holding back, trying to be perfect. It was somewhat disturbing. Anyone who set foot on the MC Ranch knew that none of them were perfect, so why would she feel the need to impress them? Aubrey needed to learn to stand up and speak her piece, or they would never get along.