{Chapter} 32

{Chapter 32}

Wade sat on the edge of his bed with his head in his hands. He hadn’t as much as shaved in four days, and he didn’t really care. He woke up, went and worked himself harder than ever, came home, and went to bed. He wasn’t hungry, he wasn’t thirsty, and he didn’t care about life. The only reason he found to live was Jay, who spent his days playing with Sandy or Sadie in the yard.

He was crushed.

No, Aubrey hadn’t  *exactly* told him that she loved him, no matter how many times he told her, but her actions seemed proof enough. At least that’s what he had thought.

“Lord, why?” he blurted into the silent house, no longer a home. “Why did you take her from me after I grew to love her so much? What’s your plan behind this?”

He remembered the verse that Erik had pounded into them.

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

This sure didn’t seem like a thought of peace to Wade.

“God, I want to trust You with this, I really do. I just don’t know if I can.”

Then Wade thought of what he would say to someone else in his situation.

“What gives you the right to think that you can’t hand you situation over to God? Are you so big and bad that you think this is too big for God? He can move mountains at just the word of it; I think he can work out this little problem for you without breaking a sweat. It’s all gonna turn out the way He wants it”

Wade listened to his own words and cringed. He was right.

So he prayed a new prayer. “Lord, protect Aubrey. Give her a good, happy life if she never comes back to me.”

He felt his eyes sting and knew that those were tears wanting to be set free.

He never cried, but the thought of giving into his grief was very tempting.

He put his head down, heaving a sigh of relief. One lone tear escaped his eye, and he wiped it away.

He had to remain strong if he wanted to get over this.

If he ever expected to move on.

As of now, his pain was too real to try to get over. He knew that it would take time before he could get over Aubrey… if ever.

“Lord, if I could ask just one thing… I’d ask to have her back.”

**********

“Sissy, will you fix this for me?”

“Sissy! I’m hungry!”

“Sissy, I wanna go play.”

“Aubrey, please mind the customer at the store.”

“Aubrey, can you fix Jake something to eat?”

“Aubrey, Colton’s here, do I look okay?”

“Aubrey, Robin needs your help in the kitchen.”

“Aubrey this.”

“Aubrey that.”

Aubrey felt her world caving in on her. Never before had she felt like a maid than at this moment. She hadn’t been back home for two days and yet she was bombarded with favors and cares every second of the day.

Before she would have smiled and done anything for her precious family. Now, she did every little deed grudgingly. Wade had taught her the meaning of family, and what was giving, and what was taking. The people at the MC Ranch taught her the meaning of responsibility and how you should treat others.