{Chapter} 31

This thing is acting up! The things that are supposed to be in italics are encased in these little do-hickys (*) just incase they aren't like they're supposed to be. Sorry if it causes confusion. Now this is in italics! Tsk tsk.... technology. Here we go!

{Chapter 31}

Aubrey chose to ignore the smell and broke off her hug with Wade.

Perfume, was he really that careless?

Wade took off his coat and hung it on the back of a chair, along with his chaps and hat.

“Where’s Jay?” he asked.

As if he really cared about Jay.

“He went to spend the night with the boy in the bunkhouse,” Aubrey answered shortly, walking around him and not making eye contact.

She felt his gaze on her back.

“Guess that’s good for him. Did he take Sadie?” Wade asked.

“Yes” Aubrey answered shortly.

Wade was probably getting the idea that she wanted to be alone with him tonight. Well, that simply wasn’t so she wanted to be as far from him as humanly possible.

What did he think, cheating on her?

Why?

Why didn’t he just say that he wanted more from her?

Aubrey’s mind was such a jumbled up mess that she could hardly think straight.

“How’s work?” she asked.

“Fine” Wade answered.

Sure it was.

Aubrey pulled off a yawn after a few minutes of trying to conjure one up. “I’m tired. I think I’ll go to bed.”

She saw Wade nod out of the corner of her eye.

She changed quickly, glad that his back was turned, and slipped under the covers, wishing that she could put up the pillow wall again without him knowing that she was catching on. She didn’t know why, but she just couldn’t let on about the things she knew now, the pain that was in her, threatening to burst into rage.

Wade came to bed a few minutes later, slipping his arms around her as he normally did. She stiffened, but didn’t move to stop him. She couldn’t believe that he would do this. It just wasn’t like his personality. He was sweet, kind, and caring. He would never dream of hurting her.

No.

She couldn’t be having these thoughts. The proof was right before her eyes, and she couldn’t put that aside.

She had to get out of here.

Her last thoughts were of her heartbreak with hot tears streaming down her cheeks.

**********

She quietly shut the lid to her suitcase and looked around the little shack she had come to view as home, still dark from the absent sun in the wee hours of the morning. She fingered the curtains and breathed a deep sigh. Looking down at her Stetson, she decided that she needed the ever-painful reminder so she didn’t get herself in this situation ever again. She should have been more willing to him, she should have voiced her feelings so he wouldn’t have done this to her. She blamed herself for everything.

*Wade,

I can’t stay here and you know why. I can see that you’re not happy with me here so I’ll just go home. Have a good, happy life and take care of Jay, whatever you do.*