{Chapter} 26

{Chapter 26}

“What are you doing here?” Aubrey asked of her father.

“When I found out that Brooke was going to come out here alone, I couldn’t have that. Is it wrong for me to want to see my baby girl?” Daddy enveloped her in a bear hug.

It is when you basically disowned me.

Aubrey didn’t voice her thoughts but instead hugged her father back weakly. She looked at Wade and smiled, hoping her eyes showed her unspoken thanks.

“What’s all the ruckus about?” Jay asked from his place in the doorway.

“You remember Brooke and Mr. Cutshall don’t you?” Wade asked.

“Uh huh. What’re they doin’ here?” Jay asked as innocently as was possible.

“They’re here for a visit,” Aubrey told him.

“Where they gonna sleep?” Jay asked.

Aubrey looked to Wade. “That’s a good question.”

“I don’t want to be a bother” Brooke spoke up.

“Oh, no. You’re not a bother. The men’ll sleep in the barn. It’ll be fine” Wade smiled.

Aubrey nodded. “That sounds good. Come on inside. I have some soup on the stove and there’s plenty for everyone. Daddy, if you’ll get the bags and set them on the porch, I’ll help Wade with the horses. Jay, why don’t you show our guests inside?”

Jay nodded.

Aubrey took the reins to Brooke’s horse and followed Wade to the barn. Once the doors hid them, Aubrey dropped the reins and ran to Wade. He turned around in time to catch her in his arms.

“Thank you so much,” she said into his shoulder.

“It wasn’t my intent to bring your father here, I promise. He came along without my knowledge. I’m sorry,” Wade told her, holding her close.

“It’s okay. Just the thought was the sweetest thing anyone has ever done for me” Aubrey felt her heart soaring, but she completely forgot about the need to tell him her feelings.

“Then you’re not doted on nearly enough” Wade said, burying his fingers in her hair.

“You… are the sweetest… most perfect man… that God ever… created” Aubrey said between kissing him and hugging him.

Wade silenced her, and not with his hand. She was so caught up in his kiss that she forgot all about her guests until he pulled away.

“I’ve gotta go. They’re probably wondering where I am” Aubrey grudgingly pulled away from the circle of his arms.

Wade nodded and smiled at her. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him again before walking back to the house, giving a backward glance every now and then.

**********

“I still can’t believe you’re married, Aubbie! Wade talked about you as if you were an angel on the way here” Brooke grinned from her place in the bed that Wade and Aubrey usually shared while Aubrey lay in Jay’s bed.

Aubrey smiled.

“He was saying how good you took to Texas life and all. I didn’t think he was married to you anymore,” Brooke giggled.

“He takes very good care of me,” Aubrey said, thinking of all he had done for her.

“I’m sure he does, Aubbie. You look so… so different,” Brooke said thoughtfully, hugging her knees.