.43.

:::VANESSA:::

"Can I have another glass of that Royal Tokaji, bish!"

    Deon shouted at me as she walked out of my kitchen.

    While she was supposed to be here consoling and making sure I didn't hurt myself, she was too busy in my kitchen making herself at home in my refrigerator. I looked her way, slowly, away from my laptop. She held her wine glass out to me so that I could pour more of the rich wine into her glass.

    I sat my glass of wine down onto the table next to the sofa and grabbed the bottle, pulling out the cork and enlightening her. She smiled and took big gulps instead of tiny sips.

    "You're not supposed to drink it like you're drinking liquor, Deon." I tell her as she sat down across from me. She looked at me with a smile on her face, rolling her eyes.

    "Girl, this shit is too good. Especially with that stink ass cheese you got sitting in there. For some reason, cheese and wine is just so good to me." She joked. I shook my head and continued looking on the website to help me get over a broken heart. I often did things like this when I had a lot on my mind.

    Yesterday, Dorothy came over here to check on me. She expected for me to be crying and all because Lamont had passed, but when she came in, I was sitting on the floor with a bottle of wine, daydreaming of photos of me and Lamont. She thought I was unstable to be at home alone, so she made Deon come and spend the week with me until Lamont's funeral. While Deon has been a distraction, she's also been eating and drinking all my stuff. I wish Dorothy would've sent Deandre instead. At least he eats fast food and would be buying his own stuff to eat.

    "You done reading that foolishness so that we can turn on some Netflix?" Deon asked me, slurring her words. I looked up at her, a little annoyed, but thankful that she was here with me tonight.

    "You can cut it on." I tell her, looking back at the words on the screen.

    "I don't wanna watch Netflix alone. I wanna watch Netflix and chill. You don't wanna Netflix and chill?" Deon laughed. I looked back at her, wanting to laugh, but didn't want to give her the satisfactory. "I'll cuddle with you, rub your fat ass feet, and even cook you something to eat if you watch Netflix with me." I giggled a little bit.

    "I'm good. I'll cook." I tell her as I push my laptop aside.

    "Look, Ne-Ne." Deon spoke, stopping me from moving as I looked her way. "We may not be as close as we used to be because I got with Eric and all and started popping out babies, but I still know when something is wrong with you. Regardless of all that, you're still my favorite cousin and I know when something is wrong with you. I may have lost the ability to be your favorite cousin back, but I haven't lost the ability to read past those eyes." She says, obviously not realizing that I had all of my emotions written on my face when I've tried so hard to hide them.

    "Girl, I'm alright." I lied.

    "Ne-Ne, stop lying, girl. I can smell bullshit from a mile away and your ass stink as fuck, bitch." Deon said to me through low eyes. I rolled my eyes knowing better than to try and pull a wool over Deon's eyes. "Sit your ass on down and tell me what's going on with you." She demanded. "Pick up that wine glass and start to sipping because we about to be up talking all night." I rolled my eyes. "Roll them big ass eyes, bitch, all you want. We gonna talk rather you like it or not." Deon was so drunk to where she had magically started talking with an accent like she was from New York or New Orleans.

    "It's more to your emotions than Lamont and I can tell. So, spit it out." Deon said as she got comfortable. I was hesitant, telling Deon what was going on because I knew how Deon talked and I didn't want my business all out in the open for the family. "I ain't gonna tell no damn body, bitch so you ain't gotta worry. I'm sure I'll been don forgot all about the shit due morning time. C'mon now." Deon cured my hesitation with her last words. I sighed. "Is it Chris or Raymond?"