eight ⁂ sass

December 15, 2021 -
a few awkward moments later

"Oh my go-" Scarlett gasped. "Leave!"

    "Okay! Calm down!" Scorpius spun on his heel and walked painfully slow - in Scarlett's opinion - to the door. As soon as he opened it and slipped out, Scarlett frantically grabbed her towel, wrapping herself in it, for she no longer wanted to take a bath.

    "Are you dressed? Or at least covered?" Scorpius' muffled voice said through the think bathroom door.

    "No!" Scarlett replied, but Scorpius peeked through the door anyway.

    "You liar."

    "Scorpius!" She grabbed her things and ran into a toilet stall, clutching her towel tightly. Scarlett set her things down in the spacious stall, drying herself and getting dressed.

    She could hear Scorpius' footsteps as he walked towards the stall. "So.. this is where you go after every single one of our prefect duties?"

    "Yes." Scarlett breathed. She had never felt so uncomfortable.

     "This is actually brilliant. Even for a mudblood." Scorpius chuckled. Scarlett put on her pajamas, and made a b-line to the sinks, not paying attention to the obnoxious blonde boy next to her. "So, do you not own a bathing suit like the rest of us?"

    "I do actually. Why are you even here?" Scarlett stared into the mirror, brushing her hair. She added the extra question to avoid his. She lied, Scarlett didn't own a bath suit. At the beginning of the year, she just took showers behind the closed curtains of the shared bathrooms  for the rest of the grade before she realized she could just go to he prefect bathroom late at night when everyone was asleep. Also, Scarlett was too scared to ask her parents for one, with the fear of them buying one that would embarrass her.

    "I'm a prefect." Scorpius smirked behind her, Scarlett glanced at him occasionally through the mirror. The stain glass mermaid giggled behind them, earning a grin from Scorpius.

    Scarlett huffed in annoyance and her cheeks flared in warm anger. Why did he like annoying her so much? There were so many muggleborns at this school. Why her? Scarlett silently stomped out of the prefect bathroom, straight into the dormitories, leaving Scorpius and the mermaid snickering in the 5th floor bathroom.

⁂    ⁂    ⁂

December 22, 2021

    Scarlett concluded that Scorpius confused the hell out of her. He followed her into the bathroom that one night, then didn't talk to her once for the next week. He was talking trash about Lucas' prank, but seemed to laugh about it with him whenever she passed them and his 'group' in the hallways and in class.

    The situation with Clary and Olivia didn't get any better. So, Scarlett sat on the end of the Slytherin table in the Great Hall, quickly jotting down notes with her pen (which received dirty looks from all the pure bloods) and eating her food quickly, so when the mail came in she could grab it and retreat to the common room.

    Since her count of friends was very low, Scarlett buried herself into her Christmas break schoolwork and writing her parents when she could. It was occupying enough. By the day before the break, Scarlett had finished everything. Drowning in her own boredom, she decided to rip open the package she had received from her parents. She opened the package to see a cute pink bathing suit and a bell for Daer with a note attached.

            Merry Christmas Scar!

        Aunt Kelly helped pick this one out, since we didn't know what to choose!

We love you so much!!
- mom and dad

    Scarlett smiled, but it quickly faded as she realized it was a Christmas present. Again it was another year where she would stay by herself at Hogwarts during Christmas break. She clipped the bell around Daer's neck and laughed to herself. The small bird jerked his head, trying to get the small copper ball of it's neck. It rattled as he shook, so Scarlett just took it off. Tomorrow was the day everyone left for home, for it was December 22.

    Scarlett quickly wrote a Christmas letter for her parents, adding her extra Rowena Ravenclaw chocolate frog card into the envelope. She always sent back a piece of the wizarding world for them, sometimes a quill or even a sickle.

    Eventually her prefect duties came and she paced the halls with Scorpius. Neither of them said word, until at 10:59 when Scorpius decided to insult her.

    "Can you say Merry Christmas to your muggle parents for me?"

    "Yeah sure, what font do you want it in?" Scarlett sassed.

    Scorpius didn't say anything back when he put the pieces together that she wasn't going home again for the 5th year in a row.

    Scarlett tucked her wand into her pocket and headed back to her empty dorm room and fell asleep without a bath. She drifted to sleep until her noisy peers barged into the dorm, for they had been unknowingly been out and about after curfew.

    "How's you and Lucas, Scarlett?" Victoria, one of Scarlett's roommates, mocked when she thought Scarlett was asleep. The other 3 came in after that, snickering and packing some of their clothes for awhile until their voices died down and Scarlett snuggled up in her comfy blankets and fell asleep.