twelve ⁂ christmas

December 25, 2021 -
a few hours later

"Bloody hell, my brain feels as if its going to explode." Scorpius sighed, slamming his book down. He glanced to Scarlett, who was scribbling something on red construction paper. "What are you doing?"

"Christmas cards. To my parents." She signed her name with her muggle pen, blowing on the ink so it dried before she slid it into the envelope.

"You're such a mudblood." Scorpius scoffed.

"You're just jealous because pens are more convenient."

"No. I just don't see why you would write to your parents when they leave your sorry arse here every Christmas."

"Fuck you!" Scarlett spit, her voice sounding more harsh than she expected. "It's because we don't have enough money to pay for it! God! Your nerve!"

Scorpius' eyes widened, for he didn't realize that was the case because he thought she was here this week the same reason he was, his parents don't care. They try to, but obviously not hard enough. Scarlett packed up her things as quickly as possible, forgetting a few things by mistake. She slung her bag around her shoulder and stomped out, taken aback from what he had said.

He watched the door slam shut behind her, and for a second he considered running after her, but he didn't. Scorpius sighed and ran his hands through his hair. His eyes glanced down to where she had sat, and down the the ground. There sat a few papers and a book under her chair. Scorpius picked up the book, and he realized it was the one she was reading this morning. The Iron Trial, it was titled. Since Scarlett left him and he literally had no plans that day, he sat by the common room fire a opened up the book.

⁂ ⁂ ⁂

December 25, 2021 -
a few more hours later

Scarlett was hungry. She stayed in her room until dinner, so she wouldn't have to face Scorpius. But every time Scarlett peeked into the common room from the dormitory door, he was still sitting there, reading. Finally, he closed the book and got up. Scarlett squinted her eyes for a closer look at the book. It was hers. She left it in there, but why was he reading it? It was a muggle book published about 7 years ago. About magic, but not like the real magic they practiced. Just muggle fantasy. Scarlett waiting until he left to rush out of the common room and into the great hall.

The ceiling was astonishing as always, for snow was slowly falling from the make believe sky while a giant Christmas tree glittered behind the professors' table.

Scarlett sat at the end of the Slytherin table and opened up her book to read because she was early. A few minutes passed, and as Scarlett glanced up to the head table, she saw Scorpius walk in. He sat across from her, about five seats down.

Before she could say something, Headmaster Mcgonagall stood at seat. "Merry Christmas, to the few of you that have stayed!"

The few that were in the room all clapped as she slowly sat down. The food appeared, and everyone dug in.

"Scorpius." Scarlett harshly whispered to the boy who was eating a few yards away.

He turned his head toward her. "What?"

"Why do you have my book?"

"I'm reading it."

"Seriously?"

"What? You haven't read it yet?"

"No. I started it this morning."

Scorpius chuckled. He mouthed something, but Scarlett couldn't hear. He was too far away. "What?"

"I said, I'm almost done. Just a few more chapters."

"Oh, okay. Please return it."

"What did you say?" Scorpius asked. Scarlett wanted to slide over and sit across from him, but she did not because he wasn't doing anything himself.

"Just return the book." Scarlett huffed. She scarfed down her dinner so she could rush out.

"Sorry!" Scarlett mumbled as her body slammed into a larger one when she exited the hall. She looked up to see Headmaster Mcgonagall. "Sorry again, ma'am."

"Dear, its alright. My bad." The old headmaster smiled down at Scarlett. "Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas to you too." Scarlett smiled and walked off, only turning around once when Mcgonagall said with a smirk:

"Keep that Malfoy boy in his place."