Chapter 11

“You thought you could escape me,” the man who I tried to forget said grabbing my face. My chest heaved as I breathed heavily. There was no way I could answer him because he had gagged me.

“Answer me,” he spat back handing me. My body crashed into the hard concrete floor because my hands were also bound. Closing my eyes tightly I tried to hold in my cries as he stepped on my side repeatedly. Tears slipped down my cheeks. I suppose you’re wondering how I got here. Well let me take you back to about two weeks ago to the events leading up to this very moment.

It was roughly eight or nine o’clock at night; I hadn’t looked at a clock since I left Carlisle’s house. Tears slid down my cheeks as I thought about the events leading up to where I was now. “Would he still want me? Who am I kidding,” I thought wiping my face with the sleeve of Jesse’s hoodie. Feeling mentally drained I decided it was time for me to go to bed. I climbed into bed after checking all the rooms. Closing my eyes I quickly succumbed to sleep. Something pressed against my side and made an indent in the spot beside me on the bed; successfully waking me to a half sleep state.

“It’s me,” Jasper’s southern voice sounded.....pained. Looking over at the clock on my nightstand it read one-fifty in the morning. Even though I was tired I sat up turning on the lamp in the process. Jasper buried his head in my side hugging me. I sighed hugging him back.

“I’m sorry,” he said softly after a few moments of silence.

“It’s over and done with sweetheart,” I replied running my fingers through his hair. His body tensed, “No it’s not he’s hunting you; watching you like you’re some kind of game. He’s not going to stop!” In his passion he had gotten up and started pacing. I stayed silent not knowing what to say. He was right but I didn’t want to accept that.

“Jasper,” I started softly not sure how to continue.

“Why didn’t you tell me…tell us,” his voice shook with agony.

“It’s not something I like to talk about. How am I supposed to bring up to the man I love that I’m not who I say I am? How am I supposed to look his children, who I’ve come to love as my own, in the face and tell them I’ve been lying to all of them? How do I go about telling all of you that I was raped, beaten, starved, and chained up like I was an animal; like I was nothing.” I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand feeling my chest tighten as I fought off a cough. Guilt rushed through my body from the months of lying; I wasn’t able to look at him. A dull pain formed in my side but I shook it off; rubbing it in tiny circles.

“Hazel,” Jasper started. When he didn’t continue I looked at him through my hair wondering what was stopping him from continuing.

“Alice,” My voice surprisingly came out strong yet soft. She hugged me filling my ears with her sniffles. My arms wrapped around her petite form rubbing her back soothingly.

“I’m so sorry,” She choked out in a dry sob that shook her body. Even though she could easily over power me Alice let me pull her into my lap. She buried her head in my neck still sniffling softly. Closing my eyes I hummed a tune that my mother once sang to me. Jasper returned to his position at my side leaning his head on my shoulder; the one that Alice wasn’t occupying.

The next morning I awoke to the smell of coffee and French toast.

“I guess I fell asleep,” I said to myself feeling as if I had been up all night. Pulling the covers off of my body I tiredly shuffled to the bathroom. After showering I wrapped a towel around myself and cleared the mirror to see my appearance. I had bags under my eyes along with dark circles, my skin was paler than normal; I looked ill. I sighed seeing my red eyes from the crying I had done the previous night. Deciding I had spent enough time looking at myself I got out and dressed in a pair of Pink sweats and a short sleeved shirt pulling my hair in a messy bun. When I arrived downstairs I was surprised to see Carlisle in my kitchen instead of Jasper or Alice. Cautiously I walked toward him speechless. I leaned against the isle as he turned around to face me. His smile was no longer there but was instead replaced with a solemn look. Wordlessly he placed a plate of food in front of me with a fork.

“Thank you,” I managed to squeak out. He didn’t reply only nodded (our once comfortable silence were now uncomfortable and awkward.) I sighed into my food wondering if it would always be like this. Suddenly losing my appetite I grabbed my purse and left after putting on shoes. Getting in my car I drove to La Push’s Fist Beach. Shoes in hand I wandered aimlessly down the shore line until I found some logs. I sat down on it with my shoes beside me and my elbows on my knees and my chin rested on my palms. Lost in thought I failed to notice someone sitting next to me.

“Hey Hazel,” a cheery voice startled me causing me to let out a small scream. Looking to my left with my hand over my chest I relaxed upon seeing Seth.

“H-hello,” I smiled softly as he chuckled.

“What are you doing out on this side of town,” he asked his smile still in place. Not wanting to lie to him I sighed preparing myself, “My brother was shot… while he was closing up for me.” My eyes were trained on the horizon where the water and the sky seemed to meet.

“I’m so-“

“Please don’t say you’re sorry,” I whispered. I saw him nod from the corner of my eye seeming to understand why I said that.

“Would you like to come to my house? Mom is almost done with breakfast.” Smiling, something that was a rarity now, I agreed standing up. He smiled back taking me by the hand and leading me to his home.

“When will you and Leah be doing the photo shoot,” Leah’s mom, Sue, asked me after taking a sip of her coffee. It had been over ten minutes since we had left the beach and arrived at the Clearwater home. I sighed looking down at my plate setting my fork beside it, “I …I can do it later in the week.” I paused for a moment trying to collect my thoughts.

“I’m sorry,” Harry finally spoke, “Did something happen?”

“Last night my brother was shot and…I-I haven’t been getting much sleep. I’m sorry if I don’t seem myself.” Sue gasped putting her hand over her mouth, “Oh you poor thing.”

“It’s nothing to worry about. They were able to get the bullet out and he’s doing better,” I forced a smile trying to reassure her that I was fine. She nodded seeming to believe me but I could tell Harry saw right through me.