Chapter 25: The Finale

I sighed looking out the window I sat next to.

“Who was that woman,” I thought taking a sip from my coffee cup. After finishing off my drink I set the cup down letting out a sigh of frustration. “What is going on?” I bit my lip fiddling with my engagement ring. The moment  that woman had arrived Carlisle whisked her away. They all knew who she was but wouldn’t utter a word about her. “Was she Esme? If so what does she wan-” I was cut off by my trying to serenade me with Lips of an Angel.

“Hello,” I asked.

“Is this Hazel Green,” a male voice asked.

“Yes this is she... Is there something wrong?”

“This is Deputy Corbin we need you to come down to the station because we have a suspect in custody, in regards to you case,” the man replied.

“N-now,” I asked my breath hitching.

“Yes ma’am.”

“Okay, I’ll be there in a few minutes,” I hung up setting my phone in my lap. Subconsciously I rubbed my wrists. Wanting to get this over with I sighed getting up and slipping on my black flats and buttoning up my cardigan. I didn’t feel like dealing with the problem upstairs but nevertheless I went to Carlisle’s office. Politely, I knocked on the door.

“Come in,” I heard him call, hints of anger prickling his voice. Hesitantly, I opened the door coming to stand in front of his desk. Carlisle was standing, his hands planted firmly on the desk; his face coated in anger. The woman was also standing and she looked just as angry as he did. She had honey brown hair and had defined bone structure in her face. She stands at a height around 5”6 and her body was adorned in black skinny jeans, a tight red long sleeved shirt that, in my opinion, showed way too much cleavage, and blood red stilettos. I glanced at Carlisle removing my stare from the woman.

“I umm I was just letting you know that I got a call from the station about ummm what happened a few months ago,” I blushed looking down.

“Mmm,” the woman said taking a step toward my and sniffing my hair, “Don’t you just smell divine.” She licked her red lips smirking.

“Esme,” so I was right this is Esme, “Leave her be.” The woman pouted glaring at Carlisle, a look he gladly returned. She let out a huff looking away after a few moments. “Do you want me to with you?”

“Y-you don’t have to. You seem ummm busy,” I mumbled finding the dark cherry wood of the desk interesting. Cold fingers under my chin forced me to look up; he was standing before me  with that gentle smile, that I had become used to seeing, on his lips as he let out a light hearted chuckle, “I am never too busy for you, Hazel.” He kissed my lips softly before taking my hand.

“We will continue this when I get back Esme,” Carlisle said not even sparing her a glance. He guided us out of his office down the stairs. He was about to leave but I stopped him.

“Carlisle.”

“Yes,” he asked turning to me.

“You need a jacket,” I said looking at him confused, “Are you okay?” He nodded getting out a black coat from the coat closet and a scarf, “I’m fine...I guess it just slipped my mind.” I opened my mouth to say something but shook my head letting it got. He grabbed his car keys heading to the garage and I followed; I guess we were taking his Mercedes. Once inside his car, and after the garage door was open, he peeled out of the drive way down the road. Even though he was acting happy and cheerful I saw right through him. I took his hand in mine kissing the back of it, “I don’t know why she’s here and I don’t need to know what you two talked about in your office but don’t let it affect you. If you do you’re giving her all the power; all the control. Show her that you doing just fine without her.” He put the car into park and let out a full blown laugh. He through his head back his whole body shaking and if he could I knew he would be l crying.